Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Carlos A. Carnero Delgado" <ca...@gmail.com> on 2005/07/08 18:59:52 UTC

Problem with development cycle (5.5.9)

Hello,

I've been developing on the 4.x series and the 5.0.x series for a
while, using more or less the Jakarta suggested Ant build.xml script
and their source organization (I think it's a de facto standard along
with Blueprint's.) Anyway, I started testing a new workflow using
J2SDK 5 and the latest 5.5.9 for a new project I'm supposed to start
soon. I have made the simplest web application consisting of one JSP
and one servlet. But I have (a hopefully simple) problem.

If I install (deploy) the application using Ant, it will do so, but
not like the old days: it will make the deployment is Tomcat's webapps
directory. My previous Tomcat experience is that an application will
be deployed directly from the "build" directory, making easy the
build/reload/edit development cycle. Now, with 5.5.9, I have to
re-deploy and restart Tomcat.

What I'm I doing wrong? I realize that Tomcat is doing exactly what's
told to do, but I'd like the "old" behavior: deploying from my
development build directory.

Best regards,
Carlos.

Re: Problem with development cycle (5.5.9)

Posted by "Carlos A. Carnero Delgado" <ca...@gmail.com>.
Hello Robert,

On 7/8/05, Robert Parsons <ro...@optushome.com.au> wrote:
> Hi Carlos,
>
> I had exactly the same problem as you. To fix it I put
> a 'context.xml'...

yup, that works. I don't like the fact that I lose "directory
independence" since now the build directory is "hardwired" but it's
definitely a step in the right direction.

Thanks a million,

Posted by Robert Parsons <ro...@optushome.com.au>.
Hi Carlos,

I had exactly the same problem as you. To fix it I put a 'context.xml'
in my 'public_html/META-INF' folder. The contents of the file looked
like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<Context reloadable="true" docBase="/opt/myapp/src/build" path="/myapp">
    <!-- nothing here -->
</Context>

That seems to make tomcat load the application from the build folder
rather than copying it into its own folder.

I hope that helps,
- Robert.