Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com> on 2019/07/16 17:51:50 UTC

Focused effort on Apache Way education

I think that the events of the last several months have clearly shown a lack of awareness, knowledge and (and some level) appreciation (adherence) to The Apache Way. It would be useful, I think, if this was a focused effort w/i the foundation.

Of course, there is a lot of overlap between ComDev and this effort, and so the questions are how best to address this. Maybe some sort of sub-cmmt under ComDev? Or spinning this out ala D&I (but as a PMC to avoid the problems that cmmt encountered and to engender trust and collaboration)? Or basically focus on it w/i ComDev with the structure "as is"... I think having one person "tasked" with herding the cats and coordinating the effort would be useful (and I volunteer to do so), no matter what structure we decide.

Thoughts? Ideas?

Re: Focused effort on Apache Way education

Posted by Isabel Drost-Fromm <is...@apache.org>.

Am 16. Juli 2019 23:43:19 MESZ schrieb Dmitriy Pavlov <dp...@apache.org>:
>I know about the excellent slides done by Shane
>http://shaneslides.com/apachecon/TheApacheWay-ApacheConNA2018.html#2

That's one nice source. Also there's several good slide decks out there.

I've given a related talk before I headed off to vacation there: https://youtu.be/b5pl0YNfVPs happy to share the material.

If you're doing a training: maybe create an online version, including an exercise where groups are tasked with some exploration themselves:

What are the most important values to you?

How would you go about community problem X?

How would you integrate feature y of your development mangement tooling, eg code ownership?

What ppl figure out themselves sticks better than what you tell them. Plus you can collect answers for all trainings and publish them.

Also before creating material, have you considered assessing the level of Apache Way understanding among users of our software* and what their need for further training looks like?

Isabel

* Not only casting the net of potential interested ppl wide - they are the ones that should be most interested in understanding how we work, what benefit that brings to their business, why they should engage and where all of that stuff comes from: after all Jim's original story is all about users of an open source project starting to become active themselves.
--
This message was sent with K-9 from a mobile device with swipe to type enabled. I'm sorry for any embarrassing typos that slipped through.

Re: Focused effort on Apache Way education

Posted by Myrle Krantz <my...@apache.org>.
Sometimes the short replies are the most beautiful

Thank you Jim!

: o),
Myrle

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.
a super-quick reply:

Posted by Dave Fisher <wa...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.

Posted by Kenneth Knowles <ke...@apache.org>.

Posted by Joan Touzet <wo...@apache.org>.
Hey y'all,

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Jul 17, 2019 at 1:11 AM Dave Fisher <wa...@comcast.net> wrote:
> ...I’d like to see the Apache Way described like Euclidean Geometry....

I have no clue what this would look like but I'd love to see a blog
post of yours describing that vision.

IMO, having multiple stories and examples about The Apache Way is a
great way to explain it better.

A way to find these multiple articles would also help. How about
adding links to such articles from
https://www.apache.org/theapacheway/ to keep that as the canonical
URL? Comdev could curate those links.

-Bertrand

Re: Focused effort on Apache Way education

Posted by Dave Fisher <wa...@comcast.net>.
Inline-

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 16, 2019, at 2:43 PM, Dmitriy Pavlov <dp...@apache.org> wrote:

>> For the purposes of *THIS* discussion, I think that that's a bit of a
> sidetrack.
> Sure.
>
> Jim,
> Despite the fact that I do not fully understand the problem, I am ready to
> volunteer to prepare materials. I don't care if it will be a part of Apache
> Training or Apache Com.Dev or slightly another thing.  I just like this
> topic, which why a year ago I've started asking about it here.
>
> I know about the excellent slides done by Shane
> http://shaneslides.com/apachecon/TheApacheWay-ApacheConNA2018.html#2
>
> I also like the idea of explaining not only principles but all principles'
> impact. Ideal material for education would explain why ASF can't drop each
> component of the Apache Way.

I’d like to see the Apache Way described like Euclidean Geometry.

What are the postulates? What are the theorems built from these?

Regards,
Dave

Posted by Dmitriy Pavlov <dp...@apache.org>.

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.
The events are simply some issues with various aspects of the Apache Way, such as "the foundation does not pay for development" not being completely known by some, or misinterpreted as having a different priority. The intent is to have some centralized/focused "thingie" inside the ASF that could provide this Apache Way education to our own members, projects and directors, as well as be a source of the info for use by ComDev, the Incubator, etc...

Hope this helps! Cheers.

Posted by Dmitriy Pavlov <dp...@apache.org>.
Hi Jim,

Posted by Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org>.
For those working on this subject, I have a list of resources, including
detailed pointers to some great slide decks:

  http://shaneslides.com/2017/04/History-Of-The-Apache-Way/

Having the whys behind the concepts is important, and having individual
stories to help explain real-life situations also helps.  Thus the
effort here is mutual, with various people writing different parts.

My main suggestion is to start a single page on community.a.o that
provides a short overview and then links comprehensively to whatever
content ComDev comes up with.  It won't be clear how to best package
everything up for training (or the like) until we have more stories and
we can review the several existing slide decks that have great bits.

ComDev website how to:

  https://community.apache.org/about/#about-this-website

--

- Shane
  ComDev PMC

Re: Focused effort on Apache Way education

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.
On Tue, Jul 16, 2019 at 4:05 PM Jim Jagielski <ji...@jagunet.com> wrote:
> > On Jul 16, 2019, at 5:21 PM, Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org> wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, Jul 16, 2019 at 10:52 AM Jim Jagielski <ji...@jagunet.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> I think that the events of the last several months have clearly shown a lack of awareness, knowledge and (and some level) appreciation (adherence) to The Apache Way. It would be useful, I think, if this was a focused effort w/i the foundation.
> >>
> >> Of course, there is a lot of overlap between ComDev and this effort, and so the questions are how best to address this. Maybe some sort of sub-cmmt under ComDev? Or spinning this out ala D&I (but as a PMC to avoid the problems that cmmt encountered and to engender trust and collaboration)? Or basically focus on it w/i ComDev with the structure "as is"... I think having one person "tasked" with herding the cats and coordinating the effort would be useful (and I volunteer to do so), no matter what structure we decide.
> >>
> >> Thoughts? Ideas?
> >
> > As always with Apache Way (hint-hint ;-)) the trick is to JFDI. So if
> > you're passionate about it (the way Gris is passionate about D&I) why
> > don't you just start leading this effort in ComDev? Is there anything
> > that's blocking you at this point, Jim?
> >

> Because I prefer coordinating w/ people rather than running off half-cocked. It's basic common courtesy. It how collaboration works.

Whatever happened to *rough* consensus and working code^H^H^H^Hcontent ?

Thanks,
Roman.

Re: Focused effort on Apache Way education

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.