Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Marc Portier <mp...@outerthought.org> on 2004/04/20 15:17:32 UTC

Proposal: release management guide (was Re: [RT] Versions)

Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> Marc Portier wrote:

>>in general I'm all for a more formal description of the
>>meaning of versions to us.
>>
>>something like: http://apr.apache.org/versioning.html but
>>probably more focussed towards Java classes, interfaces, xml
>>schema's and namespaces ?
>>
>>from there we could probably formulate some guidelines
>>towards associating code maintenance actions like
>>- bugfixing
>>- deprectation
>>- addition
>>- removal
>>
>>and how that is reflected in our cvs management towards
>>- tagging
>>- branching/merging
>>- new repository
>>

> Yes, good idea!
>
> Do I understand you correctly that you are volunteering? Great :)

not really: I was hoping somebody was going to direct me to the URL of
the existing ones that could end my confusion :-)

in any case I'm not too shy to start this thread, and see where a joint
effort can bring us, I'm not the guy that wants everything carved in
stone, on the other hand it seems such a waste of time to discuss and
re-evaluate this kind of stuff on a case per case...

here goes:
I see some difference between what I would call 'extension' vs. 'usage'
compatibility

'usage' compatibility would be the guarantee that my xml files (elements
and namespace declarations) keep on being picked up by the machinery and
dealth with correctly (sitemap semantics, generator/transformer-picked
up elements, config file entries...)

it seems logic that this can grow, but should however remain backwards
compatible over the various minor releases of the same major release

parts of this usage we want to deprecate could be flagged through
run-time warnings to logger.warn() but remain supported (this would
indicate that an upcoming major release will no longer support this)

'extension' compatibility would be the guarantee that my own extensions
to what cocoon provides (own java classes that interface directly with
protected/package/public members in our distribution, and maybe also my
own javascript code that depends on cocoon provided library-functions)

maintaining these over various minor releases seems more then we need,
so keeping these stable within the scope of one minor release (ie across
the various patch-releases) should do.  This would mean that parts of
that intreface can get deprecated but no additions/removals could happen.

I currently don't think we have a release scheme that supports one or
the other: i.e. reality seems pretty much like what Carsten is saying:
we just have 1,2,... 1004 (based on some gut feeling we seem to be
distributing those numbers over tripplets)

comments welcome,

-marc=

RE: Proposal: release management guide (was Re: [RT] Versions)

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.
Tim Larson wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 22, 2004 at 09:50:08PM +0200, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> > Tim Larson wrote:
> > > If it happens that 2.3 comes very soon after 2.2, then the
> > > deprecated code in effect was just deleted and not put through a
> > > normal deprecation cycle.  Perhaps we need to also set a minimum
> > > length of time that deprecated features will live, to ensure that
> > > deprecation is a meaningful process and not just a formality.
> > >
> > Hmm, yes, this is a valid point. Looking back, it always took some
> > time between our releases, so I think we don't have to set a strict
> > rule for this. We should just decide on a case by case base if the
> > time inbetween releases has been long enough or if we
> should keep the
> > deprecated stuff in the next minor release and remove it one minor
> > release later.
>
> We will need to decide on a case-by-case basis, but we should
> also set a general guideline to help with the decisions.

Ok, we can add this when the guide is in CVS (which should be very
shortly)...

> > > Also, we should define what deprecation means, such as whether
> > > simple but severe security issues will receive updates,
> even though
> > > more ongoing or complex updates will not happen to
> deprecated code.
> > Can you please explain this a little bit? Do you mean, what will
> > happen if security issues arise in deprecated code?
>
> Yes, that is what I am asking.  If we do not handle security
> issues in deprecated code, our users are not in a much better
> position than if we had just deleted the code without
> deprecation, since they can no longer safely continue to use
> the code in production.  If we are going to do the effort of
> a deprecation cycle, we might as well make it mean something
> for our users.

Ah, yes, of course. If any severe security issue arises (where 'any' means
either in deprecated or non deprecated code), we will make
a patch release. Yes.

> > Yes, agreed. And we should really start updating libaries only if
> > there is really a good reason for it.
>
> For these compatible releases I agree, but I also appreciate
> Antonio's and others' efforts in keeping these libraries up
> to date.  I wish there were an easy way to maintain the
> integration of both old stable and new up-to-date libraries
> against our code.
> I admit I do not know the best, most practical, balance for
> this issue.

Yes, in general I personally would always update to the latest
release, but for compatibility it's not always the best choice.
Now, I think Gump is doing this work for us, or? We use a
specific version and Gump builds (and tests?) Cocoon against
the latest version.

Carsten

Re: Proposal: release management guide (was Re: [RT] Versions)

Posted by Tim Larson <ti...@keow.org>.
On Thu, Apr 22, 2004 at 09:50:08PM +0200, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> Tim Larson wrote:
> > If it happens that 2.3 comes very soon after 2.2, then the
> > deprecated code in effect was just deleted and not put
> > through a normal deprecation cycle.  Perhaps we need to also
> > set a minimum length of time that deprecated features will
> > live, to ensure that deprecation is a meaningful process and
> > not just a formality.
> >
> Hmm, yes, this is a valid point. Looking back, it always took
> some time between our releases, so I think we don't have to
> set a strict rule for this. We should just decide on a case
> by case base if the time inbetween releases has been long
> enough or if we should keep the deprecated stuff in the
> next minor release and remove it one minor release later.

We will need to decide on a case-by-case basis, but we should
also set a general guideline to help with the decisions.

> > Also, we should define what deprecation means, such as
> > whether simple but severe security issues will receive
> > updates, even though more ongoing or complex updates will not
> > happen to deprecated code.
> Can you please explain this a little bit? Do you mean, what
> will happen if security issues arise in deprecated code?

Yes, that is what I am asking.  If we do not handle security
issues in deprecated code, our users are not in a much better
position than if we had just deleted the code without deprecation,
since they can no longer safely continue to use the code in
production.  If we are going to do the effort of a deprecation
cycle, we might as well make it mean something for our users.

> Yes, agreed. And we should really start updating libaries only
> if there is really a good reason for it.

For these compatible releases I agree, but I also appreciate
Antonio's and others' efforts in keeping these libraries up to
date.  I wish there were an easy way to maintain the integration
of both old stable and new up-to-date libraries against our code.
I admit I do not know the best, most practical, balance for this
issue.

--Tim Larson

RE: Proposal: release management guide (was Re: [RT] Versions)

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.
Tim Larson wrote:

> I am *so* happy to see this policy being worked on :) When I
> earlier proposed we write a document like this the interest
> seemed minimal, so I did not push very hard.  Glad to see it
> is gathering steam now.

;)

Posted by Tim Larson <ti...@keow.org>.

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
I think that we might mean "manifesto" (noun)
... Macquarie Dictionary:
"a public declaration ... of a body of persons taking
important action, making known intentions, objects,
motives, etc.; a proclamation".

Should it go into cocoon-2.1 CVS so that it travels with the
distribution, or just go into cocoon-site so that it ends
up at the top-level?

See some notes at http://wiki.cocoondev.org/Wiki.jsp?page=Cocoon215TOC

RE: Proposal: release management guide (was Re: [RT] Versions)

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.
Joerg Heinicke wrote:
> > compatible to 2.2. As long as you don't use deprecated API, your
> > application is usage compatible across all minor versions.
>
> Somewhat inaccurate. IMO it must read "As long as you don't
> use deprecated API and the API you rely on does not get
> deprecated, your application is usage compatible across all
> minor versions."

Thanks, yes, good hint!

Carsten

RE: Proposal: release management guide (was Re: [RT] Versions)

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.
Joerg Heinicke wrote:

> > This high innovention has - at least in theory - the price of
> > maintaining
>
> innovation + invention = innovention ;-)

Ah, you spotted that one. Great :)
But it's not from me:

http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/wdw/parks/attractionDetail?id=InnoventionsE
astAttractionPage

Carsten

Re: Proposal: release management guide (was Re: [RT] Versions)

Posted by Joerg Heinicke <jo...@gmx.de>.
On 21.04.2004 09:33, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

> Usage Compatibility
> -------------------
>
> 'Usage' compatibility guarantees that an application written
> by a Cocoon user is compatible. All files developed by a typical
> Cocoon user like xml files, sitemaps, stylesheets (elements and
> namespace declarations) keep on being picked up by the machinery
> and are dealt with correctly (sitemap semantics,
> generator/transformer-picked up elements, config file entries...).
> In fact this should cover everything (including flow script) but
> except own Java code.
>
> Applications that write against a particular version will remain
> usage compatible against later versions, until the major number
> changes.
> Writing an application against a version means that this application
> does not use any deprecated API of that version. Therefore minor
> version changes are only usage compatible from one minor version to
> the direct following one. For example 2.2 is usage compatible to 2.1.
> But 2.3 is not necessary usage compatible to 2.1, although it is
> usage compatible to 2.2. As long as you don't use deprecated API,
> your application is usage compatible across all minor versions.

Somewhat inaccurate. IMO it must read "As long as you don't use
deprecated API and the API you rely on does not get deprecated, your
application is usage compatible across all minor versions."

> Example:
> - a feature is introduced in 2.0 and used by the application.
> - it is deprecated in 2.2.
> - it will be removed in 2.3.

Otherwise this would oppose to this example.

> External Libraries
> ------------------
> Cocoon uses a set of external libraries (like for example Avalon,
> Xalan or Xerces). Inbetween any release, even patch releases,
> the versions of the external libraries might be updated to any version.
>
> Therefore if your application is written against a special API of an
> external library it might be that this API of the external library
> changes inbetween two Cocoon versions and therefore your application
> does not work properly anymore (or even does not compile anymore).
> Unfortunately, this issue is out of the scope of Cocoon.

Let's restrict this to updates of libraries without the need for
touching Cocoon code. This means the user must be able to revert the
update for his local cocoon installation.

> This high innovention has - at least in theory - the price of maintaining

innovation + invention = innovention ;-)

Joerg

Re: Proposal: release management guide (was Re: [RT] Versions)

Posted by Marc Portier <mp...@outerthought.org>.

Reinhard Poetz wrote:

> Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

<snip type="large" />

>> Examples
>> --------
>> Here are some examples to demonstrate the compatibility:
>>
>> Original Version    New Version    Usage Compatible    Extension
>> Compatible
>> 2.2.3                  2.2.4          Yes                      Yes
>> 2.2.3                  2.3.1          Yes                      No
>> 2.2.3                  3.0.0          No                       No
>>
>> Note: while some of the cells say "no", it is possible that the
>> versions may be compatible, depending very precisely upon the
>> particular APIs used by the application.
>>

> I think we will need *a lot* of testcases to guarentee the compatibility.

I agree, however on the sort-term and more pragmatic side of things: all
users out there are a very large test-cases-base, since we're up to
publishing this versioning contract to them we should at least promptly
react when people notice we've not lived up to it. (which should be:
re-introduce promised backwards compat and/or change the version number)

Posted by Reinhard Poetz <re...@apache.org>.
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

>Marc Portier wrote:
>

>>I currently don't think we have a release scheme that
>>supports one or the other: i.e. reality seems pretty much
>>like what Carsten is saying:
>>we just have 1,2,... 1004 (based on some gut feeling we seem
>>to be distributing those numbers over tripplets)
>>

>I thought about this topic a little bit and I can only say we
>never followed any compatibility rules! For example we changed
>the sitemap in an incompatible way not only from 2.0.x to 2.1,
>but also from 2.1.3 to 2.1.4.
>And we removed deprecated API/changed interfaces/methods
>between patch releases.
>
>So following this "logic", we could just follow this road and do
>whatever we think is appropriate or establish some general and
>simple rules to make the live of the users easier.
>
>I have written a first draft of such a guide (well I copied some
>things from here and there and added my two cents). So, let's
>start another flame war and tell me what you think about this.
>

>(PS: I think this one of the longest mails I ever wrote)

;-)

>The Cocoon Versioning Manifest (CVM)
>------------------------------------
>This document covers how the Cocoon project is versioned.
>Since Cocoon is a framework, it is very important to define
>a stable API for users and developers. However, we also need
>to move Cocoon forward, technologically. To balance these two
>needs, a strict policy of versioning is required, which users
>can rely upon to understand the limitations, restrictions,
>and the changes that can occur from one release to the next.
>
>Basics
>------
>Versions are denoted using a standard triplet of integers:
>MAJOR.MINOR.PATCH. The basic intent is that MAJOR versions are
>incompatible, large-scale upgrades of the API. MINOR versions
>retain usage and extension compatibility with older minor versions,
>and changes in the PATCH level are perfectly compatible, forwards
>and backwards.

+1

>Following the main design principle of Cocoon, the pyramid
>of contracts, we distinguish between users and developers
>of Cocoon.
>A very rough distinction between them is that a user writes
>the application using Cocoon without coding Java. There is
>one exception to this rule: flow script - the java script
>is also written by the user.
>A developer codes Java and provides additional functionality
>for the user, so a developer extends Cocoon.
>
>Therefore we distinguish between usage compatibility and
>extension compatibility.

+1

>Both compatibility levels cover
>some kind of "source" compatibility. Cocoon does not provide
>binary compatibility. But as Cocoon is distributed as a
>source release that you have to compile anyway, it's
>saver to compile your own application code (if any) using
>the version of Cocoon that your application runs on.

+1
we should make a clear recommendation that recompiling is the better way

>Usage Compatibility
>-------------------
>
>'Usage' compatibility guarantees that an application written
>by a Cocoon user is compatible. All files developed by a typical
>Cocoon user like xml files, sitemaps, stylesheets (elements and
>namespace declarations) keep on being picked up by the machinery
>and are dealt with correctly (sitemap semantics,
>generator/transformer-picked up elements, config file entries...).
>In fact this should cover everything (including flow script) but
>except own Java code.
>
>Applications that write against a particular version will remain
>usage compatible against later versions, until the major number
>changes.
>Writing an application against a version means that this application
>does not use any deprecated API of that version. Therefore minor
>version changes are only usage compatible from one minor version to
>the direct following one. For example 2.2 is usage compatible to 2.1.
>But 2.3 is not necessary usage compatible to 2.1, although it is
>usage compatible to 2.2. As long as you don't use deprecated API,
>your application is usage compatible across all minor versions.
>
>Example:
>- a feature is introduced in 2.0 and used by the application.
>- it is deprecated in 2.2.
>- it will be removed in 2.3.
>
>However, if an application uses an API which has become available
>in a particular minor version, it (obviously) will no longer
>operate against previous minor versions.

+1

>Extension Compatibility
>-----------------------
>
>'extension' compatibility guarantees that own extensions to what
>Cocoon provides (own Java classes that interface directly with
>API in the Cocoon distribution) compile and operate.
>
>Applications that write against a particular version will remain
>extension compatible against later versions until the major or
>the minor number changes (Please note the difference to the usage
>compatibility). However, the Cocoon developers take care that even
>if the minor number changes, most of the own code still works and
>operates properly. Incompatible changes between minor versions are
>kept to a minimum. Frequent new releases of Cocoon ensure that
>developers have a smooth transition path.
>
>If an interface/class changes in an incompatible way between minor
>version changes, the Cocoon documentation will contain a detailed
>update guide that contains a solution for every incompatible change.
>So following this guide should make the update smoothly.

+1

>Deprecation and Exceptions
>--------------------------
>
>To continue the Cocoon development and to keep up with the innovations,
>parts of Cocoon might get deprecated; this includes parts of the user
>API and also parts of the developer API.
>
>If a part of the user API is deprecated, this will be flagged through
>run-time warnings that appear in the logs but remain supported. This
>indicates that an upcoming minor (or major) release will no longer
>support this.
>
>If a part of the developer API is deprecated it will be removed with
>the next major, minor or patch release.
>
>For developers there is one exception to this rule: private API. Cocoon
>has some internal classes and interfaces that are not meant to be used
>by a Cocoon developer (someone extending Cocoon). These pieces of
>Java code are clearly marked in the Javadocs and should not be used.
>They might change even between a patch version change in an incompatible
>way without providing a workaround!

+1

>External Libraries
>------------------
>Cocoon uses a set of external libraries (like for example Avalon,
>Xalan or Xerces). Inbetween any release, even patch releases,
>the versions of the external libraries might be updated to any version.
>
>Therefore if your application is written against a special API of an
>external library it might be that this API of the external library
>changes inbetween two Cocoon versions and therefore your application
>does not work properly anymore (or even does not compile anymore).
>Unfortunately, this issue is out of the scope of Cocoon.

I think we as Cocoon project can't avoid problems arising in this
context. So +1

>Examples
>--------
>Here are some examples to demonstrate the compatibility:
>
>Original Version    New Version    Usage Compatible    Extension Compatible
>2.2.3                  2.2.4          Yes                      Yes
>2.2.3                  2.3.1          Yes                      No
>2.2.3                  3.0.0          No                       No
>
>Note: while some of the cells say "no", it is possible that the versions
>may be compatible, depending very precisely upon the particular APIs
>used by the application.

I think we will need *a lot* of testcases to guarentee the compatibility.

>Versioning and Repositories
>---------------------------
>Cocoon is very innovative and new features are added very frequently. This
>results in new functionality that justify a minor version change on its own.
>In addition, to move Cocoon forward technologically, some features have
>to be removed/deprecated which of course results in a minor version change
>as well.
>
>So, Cocoon will potentially release several versions with minor version
>changes in a year and only a few patch releases. Of course, if a patch
>release is required, for example if a potential security issue is found
>etc., the patch release will be made available asap.
>
>This high innovention has - at least in theory - the price of maintaining
>several branches at once in order to be able to apply patches to older
>versions.
>To reduce this to a minimum, Cocoon uses one repository per major version.
>The HEAD of the repository always contains the latest version. If a new
>minor release is required, the version in the CVS is directly changed
>to this minor version (e.g. from 2.1.4 to 2.2). The current state is
>tagged and if the need for a 2.1.5 release arises, a branch is created.
>
>However, due to the compatibility rules explained above, there should only
>be a reason for a patch version if major problems occur (like security
>issues). In any other case, the Cocoon community expects the applications
>to migrate to the new minor version release which should be fairly simple.
>
>In addition Cocoon has a sandbox repository to test new features.

+1 again.
So we end in a cocoon-2 (current cocoon-2.1 repository) and a cocoon-3
repository (current cocoon-2.2 repository), don't we?
If we make move to SVN we can correct this naming issue. (It should also
be possible to change this in CVS too - only rename the directory names.
The only disadvantage is that we each CVS user is required to make a
fresh check out.)

--
Reinhard

RE: Proposal: release management guide (was Re: [RT] Versions)

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.
Unico Hommes wrote:

> For my understanding, what exactly do these terms mean (i.e.
> 'user API'
> and 'developer API') ? Are they paralel to the concepts of
> 'usage compatibility' and 'extension compatibility' or are
> they part of a separate classification?
Yes, they are parallel. Usage compatibility is the compatiblity
of the user api etc.

> >If a part of the user API is deprecated, this will be
> flagged through
> >run-time warnings that appear in the logs but remain supported. This
> >indicates that an upcoming minor (or major) release will no longer
> >support this.
> >
> >If a part of the developer API is deprecated it will be removed with
> >the next major, minor or patch release.
> >

> Don't you mean ".. removed with the next major or minor release" ?

No :) This is the tricky part. I think there are some very very very
very ... very rare cases where it makes sense to just remove some
deprecated stuff between two patch releases. So I don't want to block
this possibility. I will make this more clear in the next
version of this guide.

> >For developers there is one exception to this rule: private
> API. Cocoon
> >has some internal classes and interfaces that are not meant
> to be used
> >by a Cocoon developer (someone extending Cocoon). These
> pieces of Java
> >code are clearly marked in the Javadocs and should not be used.
> >They might change even between a patch version change in an
> >incompatible way without providing a workaround!
> >

> <snip type="more good stuff"/>
>
> As part of the effort of establishing versioning rules and
> consequently the separation of different areas of our code
> base (public, private,
> etc) we could review some of the related proposals that have
> been discussed in the past. Perhaps we could tackle these
> concerns as part of this effort. Especially I am thinking of
> the proposals towards modularisation of the code base into
> functional modules (API, SPI, etc.) and javadoc extensions
> for signalling private or public API membership.
>
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=105766229504616&w=2
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=106424060330963&w=2

Yepp, this has been discussed very often, so perhaps it's really
time to "do something".

Carsten

Re: Proposal: release management guide (was Re: [RT] Versions)

Posted by Unico Hommes <un...@hippo.nl>.

<snip type="lots of good stuff"/>

Posted by Reinhard Poetz <re...@apache.org>.
Upayavira wrote:

> Marc Portier wrote:
>

>> Upayavira wrote:
>>
>>> Carsten,
>>>
>>> Reads very well, I say. All we need to do is decide if that is how
>>> we actually want to (and can) work!
>>>
>>> One addition is to mention our policy on blocks and block status:
>>>
>>> Blocks and Block Stability
>>> --------------------------
>>> Cocoon currently allows optional functionality to be included or
>>> excluded using a simple system called blocks, in which the
>>> functionality is included or excluded at compile time.
>>>
>>> [NB. This is a precursor to a more complete block system which is
>>> currently under development.]
>>>
>>> A block can have one of three statuses: unstable, stable or
>>> deprecated. An unstable block has an API that can change without
>>> notice. A stable block is subject to the same versioning process
>>> as described in this document. Similarly, when the entire
>>> functionality of a block is deprecated, it will be handled in
>>> the same way as any other deprecated code within Cocoon.
>>>

>>> =========================
>>>
>>> Does this seem reasonable?
>>>

>> very,
>>
>> I would even suggest (already) that blocks in state 'stable' would
>> maintain an own release numbering scheme which complies to these rules.
>

> I thought about this. But, given that they will be released as a part
> of Cocoon, I cannot see how that would work. Unless they are released
> as separate packages that happen independently, they'll need to follow
> Cocoon's versioning system, IMO.
>
> Regards, Upayavira

I think so too and IIRC this was also the conclusion of a discussion
about the lifecylce of _real_ blocks.

--
Reinhard

Re: Proposal: release management guide (was Re: [RT] Versions)

Posted by Upayavira <uv...@upaya.co.uk>.

Posted by Marc Portier <mp...@outerthought.org>.

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.
Upayavira wrote:

> Reads very well, I say. All we need to do is decide if that
> is how we actually want to (and can) work!

Great! I think we could wait one more day and see if there is
some interesting feedback and then we can vote on it.

> One addition is to mention our policy on blocks and block status:
>
> Blocks and Block Stability
> --------------------------
> Cocoon currently allows optional functionality to be included
> or excluded using a simple system called blocks, in which the
> functionality is included or excluded at compile time.
>
> [NB. This is a precursor to a more complete block system
> which is currently under development.]
>
> A block can have one of three statuses: unstable, stable or
> deprecated. An unstable block has an API that can change
> without notice. A stable block is subject to the same
> versioning process as described in this document. Similarly,
> when the entire functionality of a block is deprecated, it
> will be handled in the same way as any other deprecated code
> within Cocoon.
>

> =========================
>
> Does this seem reasonable?

Yes, absolutely. Great!

Carsten

Re: Proposal: release management guide (was Re: [RT] Versions)

Posted by Upayavira <uv...@upaya.co.uk>.
Carsten,

[...]

Upayavira

Posted by Bruno Dumon <br...@outerthought.org>.
On Wed, 2004-04-21 at 09:33, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
<snip/>
> External Libraries
> ------------------
> Cocoon uses a set of external libraries (like for example Avalon,
> Xalan or Xerces). Inbetween any release, even patch releases,
> the versions of the external libraries might be updated to any version.

If between patch releases we want to keep everything as compatible as
possible, then we shouldn't upgrade external libraries either (except if
known to be completely safe). Otherwise, all the effort we put into
keeping our own stuff compatible could be lost because of that.

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.
 Marc Portier wrote:

> +1
>
> - one extra: when the external lib mismatch can occur, then
> we should provide that knowledge in the update docs and add a warning
Yepp.

> -marc= (being glad he posted that arp link :-))
Yes, and I also stole text from your mail :)

> <snip
> what="the historical long mail from one eloquent Sir C. Ziegler" />
ROTFL

Carsten

Re: Proposal: release management guide (was Re: [RT] Versions)

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.
Marc Portier wrote:

> here goes:
> I see some difference between what I would call 'extension'
> vs. 'usage'
> compatibility
>
> <snip explains/>
I like the distinction and I totally agree with the vision of
'usage'. In my RT about versions I was only refering to
the 'extension' are when it comes to incompatible changes.

> I currently don't think we have a release scheme that
> supports one or the other: i.e. reality seems pretty much
> like what Carsten is saying:
> we just have 1,2,... 1004 (based on some gut feeling we seem
> to be distributing those numbers over tripplets)

Yes, I think this is really the truth. And in reality things
get very complicated as compatibility for Cocoon as a whole
applies not only to what we develop but to most other projects
we incorporate.
We are - for example - very eager in updating to new releases
of external libraries. So it happens, that we change from
Xalan 2.4 to Xalan 2.6 between 2.1.3 and 2.1.4. (just a fictional
sample). It's a major change for Xalan, so it's not required
to be compatible. But if Cocoon or a users application relies
on some things that have changed between 2.4 and 2.6, then
Cocoon isn't compatible between 2.1.3 and 2.1.4 for them. And
of course, they blame Cocoon (which isn't soo wrong).

And in fact, these updates to the external libraries cause a
lot of problems to users when they try to update from one
version to another of Cocoon.

So, what do we do with all these infos?

Carsten