Posted to dev@lenya.apache.org by Jörn Nettingsmeier <ne...@apache.org> on 2007/11/04 21:35:06 UTC

dogfood recipes...

andreas, i've just taken a look at the lenya docu publication on zones,
and it's very neat. i'd like to know how you did the "section header"
pages like "concepts", "tutorials" etc. they don't seem to be documents,
rather sitetree nodes without associated documents, and clícking on them
just activates a javascript toggle function.

(for those who haven't heard it, andreas has been quite busy preparing
our own dogfood for us, by creating a lenya publication in the sandbox
that can import our existing forrest website and will eventually allow
us to maintain and serve our own website with lenya. a demo is available
on zones.)

regards,

jörn

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier

   - Ken Thompson.

Re: dogfood recipes...

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
Jörn Nettingsmeier schrieb:
> Andreas Hartmann wrote:
>> Hi Jörn,
>>
>> Jörn Nettingsmeier schrieb:
>>> andreas, i've just taken a look at the lenya docu publication on zones,
>>> and it's very neat. i'd like to know how you did the "section header"
>>> pages like "concepts", "tutorials" etc. they don't seem to be documents,
>>> rather sitetree nodes without associated documents, and clícking on them
>>> just activates a javascript toggle function.
>>
>> they are sitetree nodes without UUIDs and therefore not pointing to
>> documents. The menu.xsl handles these nodes in a special way.
>>
>> The API doesn't yet allow to remove site node UUIDs. I have the changes
>> in my local workspace. Maybe I'll commit them after the release.
>
> i think those "section header" nodes are a rather basic function for
> content management systems, so if your change is not overly intrusive,
> i'd say let's sneak it in.

I'd rather take some time to think about it, at the moment it is
probably not a well-designed complementary set of methods. And I'd like
to write some test cases before I commit it.

> but maybe it's cleaner to have a special
> doctype for this rather than do sitetree magic? then the menu.xsl would
> need to find that information somehow and just create the appropriate
> javascript.

I also thought about this, but I didn't see a real disadvantage of
sitetree nodes which don't have UUIDs. IMO this is more straightforward
than introducing placeholder documents, and it was much easier to implement.

-- Andreas

--
Andreas Hartmann, CTO
BeCompany GmbH

Re: dogfood recipes...

Posted by Jörn Nettingsmeier <ne...@apache.org>.
Andreas Hartmann wrote:
> Hi Jörn,
>
> Jörn Nettingsmeier schrieb:
>> andreas, i've just taken a look at the lenya docu publication on zones,
>> and it's very neat. i'd like to know how you did the "section header"
>> pages like "concepts", "tutorials" etc. they don't seem to be documents,
>> rather sitetree nodes without associated documents, and clícking on them
>> just activates a javascript toggle function.
>
> they are sitetree nodes without UUIDs and therefore not pointing to
> documents. The menu.xsl handles these nodes in a special way.
>
> The API doesn't yet allow to remove site node UUIDs. I have the changes
> in my local workspace. Maybe I'll commit them after the release.

i think those "section header" nodes are a rather basic function for
content management systems, so if your change is not overly intrusive,
i'd say let's sneak it in. but maybe it's cleaner to have a special

Re: dogfood recipes...

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
Hi Jörn,

Re: dogfood recipes...

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@juntadeandalucia.es>.
On Mon, 2007-11-05 at 10:28 +0100, Andreas Hartmann wrote:
> Thorsten Scherler schrieb:
> > On Sun, 2007-11-04 at 21:35 +0100, Jörn Nettingsmeier wrote:
> >> andreas, i've just taken a look at the lenya docu publication on zones,
> >> and it's very neat. i'd like to know how you did the "section header"
> >> pages like "concepts", "tutorials" etc. they don't seem to be documents,
> >> rather sitetree nodes without associated documents, and clícking on them
> >> just activates a javascript toggle function.
> >>
> >> (for those who haven't heard it, andreas has been quite busy preparing
> >> our own dogfood for us, by creating a lenya publication in the sandbox
> >> that can import our existing forrest website and will eventually allow
> >> us to maintain and serve our own website with lenya. a demo is available
> >> on zones.)
> >
> > That sounds awesome. Can you please send us some links
>
> http://lenya.zones.apache.org:9999/docu/authoring/
>
> > and maybe instructions how to test it?
>
> It's very simple: To run it locally, just checkout the sandbox and add
> the paths to the sandbox/pubs and sandbox/modules to local.build.properties.

I will try to answer the question after best knowledge.

> There are many issues to be resolved before we can consider replacing
> our website:
>
> - Can we host it on the zones server and point lenya.apache.org there?

Not directly. Our website need to be a static html page and need to go
directly into the apache svn repository. The zone server cannot be used
to do direct commits.

However we can have a process that each committer can sync our svn repo
from the zones rep and check this in. Zones cannot be a user.

> - editing and publishing workflow, permissions

IMO editing can be any user (controlled to prevent spam), publishing
only by committer.

> - management of SVN logs

See above zones server cannot commit to any svn rep. This needs to be
down by us committer (via scripts etc).

> - caching / static export

We need a static export, maybe we can actually leave this part in the
hands of forrest. I think about editing and publishing with lenya and
export via forrest.

> - ...
>
> Feel free to take a look at it and post your comments. The design is
> just a first suggestion. I tried to accomplish a fresh and clean look
> without making it appear like a commercial website.

jeje, I am full hearted dev = I do not care about design I care about functionality. ;)

> BTW, the Cocoon project has relaunched its website too. IMO it looks
> very good. One downside is that they don't have human-readable URLs, though.

Yeah, the fault has the underlying cms. We should be better.

Thanks Andreas for taggling this issue.

salu2

Re: dogfood recipes...

Posted by Jörn Nettingsmeier <ne...@apache.org>.
Andreas Hartmann wrote:
> Jörn Nettingsmeier schrieb:
>> Andreas Hartmann wrote:
>>> There are many issues to be resolved before we can consider replacing
>>> our website:
>>>
>>> - Can we host it on the zones server and point lenya.apache.org there?
>>> - editing and publishing workflow, permissions
>>> - management of SVN logs
>>> - caching / static export
>> let's get the thing rolling on zones and do a static wget -l -r nightly
>> to apache.org. zones is a little bit too fragile to have it serve the
>> main website imho, and i think infrastructure would frown on the extra
>> bandwidth usage. (and if ever, god forbid, the lenya servlet should
>> barf, our marketing would go to pieces :-D)
>
> A static export sounds good. Maybe we can trigger it automatically by
> the publishing usecase someday. It's a pity that we can't showcase our
> nice search engine integration, though :)

well, i think we can always justify to divert a few pages to zones that
rely on dynamic lenya features. it means an extra publication on zones,
but it would be a marvellous test case for our proxying code, so that
all links point back to the static web server.

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier

   - Ken Thompson.

Re: dogfood recipes...

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.

Re: dogfood recipes...

Posted by Jörn Nettingsmeier <ne...@apache.org>.

Re: dogfood recipes...

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.

Re: dogfood recipes...

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@juntadeandalucia.es>.
On Sun, 2007-11-04 at 21:35 +0100, Jörn Nettingsmeier wrote:
> andreas, i've just taken a look at the lenya docu publication on zones,
> and it's very neat. i'd like to know how you did the "section header"
> pages like "concepts", "tutorials" etc. they don't seem to be documents,
> rather sitetree nodes without associated documents, and clícking on them
> just activates a javascript toggle function.
>
> (for those who haven't heard it, andreas has been quite busy preparing
> our own dogfood for us, by creating a lenya publication in the sandbox
> that can import our existing forrest website and will eventually allow
> us to maintain and serve our own website with lenya. a demo is available
> on zones.)

That sounds awesome. Can you please send us some links and maybe
instructions how to test it?

TIA

salu2