Posted to dev@hc.apache.org by André Augusto de Oliveira Aragão <an...@ca.tco.net.br> on 2003/04/03 15:59:24 UTC

SSL Performance Problem

HI!

I think httpclient is having a strange behavior. I´m developing a software
that, among other things, must make performance measurements on web sites.

I have a site called https://callcenter.tco.net.br. This site uses, as you
can see SSL. And I also have this site in a non ssl version -
http://www.tco.net.br/col.

When I try to measure performance in the https://callcenter.tco.net.br, I
get always 3000 ms. I can run a dozen times, and I get it over and over
(with the log turned off), with very small changes - about 4 ms. It´s very
strange. This time is measured only in the second post interaction, ie, in
the reply to the 100-continue server response.

When I use the non-ssl version, the time changes at each try, as expected.

Other problem is the performance. When I use the non-ssl version, the time
changes from 800 ms to 1200 ms. Using the https, it´s always 3000 ms. I have
a similar function wrote in C++, and I get similar times using http or
https. Well, https sometimes get to 1500 ms, but generally speaking, the
degradation is not sensible.

I´m sending my code, and the log generated for both situations, using the
https and the http site.

Another question: Why the httpclient always add the Expect: 100-continue
header? Is it part of the http spec? As I know, it should not be used on
"normal" situations, ie, when you have a small post to do to the server.
Correct me If I´m wrong.

I´m using 2.0-alpha3-dev.

Thanks in advance,

Andre Augusto
TCO Celular

Re: SSL Performance Problem

Posted by Michael Becke <be...@u.washington.edu>.
Hello André,

Unfortunately it seems that the attachments were stipped from your
message.  Jeff, Oleg do you have any idea how we can get this fixed?

I'm guessing the poor performance with SSL is due to the "Expect:
100-continue" header.  Try calling setUseExpectHeader(false) on the post
method.  I would also suggest using the latest code from CVS or a
nightly build.

Mike