Posted to java-dev@axis.apache.org by Dennis Sosnoski <dm...@sosnoski.com> on 2005/08/02 17:47:16 UTC

Re: [axis2] FYI: JBoss Web services

Venkat Reddy wrote:

>On 7/29/05, Ajith Ranabahu <aj...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Again we are very much looking forward for the upcoming java annotations.
>>perhaps we can do something like what the .net guys are doing. Annotate the
>>method with the necessary parameters and Axis autogenerates the service !
>>

>or say, like what JAX-WS does ;-)

For a contrarian view on the use of annotations, see my just-published
devWorks article at
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/java/library/j-cwt08025.html I use
JAX-RPC 2.0 (now JAX-WS) as an example where WSDD-style configuration
files work at least as well as annotations (better in general, since
they don't limit you to 1.5+ platforms).

I think annotations are an interesting facility, but I suspect the
current rush to use them for anything and everything is a mistake. IMHO,
Microsoft specializes in techniques which look easy up front and
typically cause all kinds of limitations and difficulties as you get
into more complex applications. Mimicking Microsoft is rarely a good way
to improve the state of software development.

  - Dennis