Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by mads <ma...@yahoo.dk> on 2012/03/29 09:56:20 UTC

Solr advanced boosting

Hello everyone!

I am new to Solr and I have been doing a bit of reading about boosting
search results. My search index consists of products with different
attributes like a title, a description, a brand, a price, a discount percent
and so on. I would like to do a fairly complex boosting, so that for example
a hit on the brand name, a low price, a high discount percent is boosted
compared to a hit in the title, higher prices etc. Basically I would like to
make a more "intelligent" search with a my self-defined boosting algorithm
of definition. I hope it makes sense. My question is if more experienced
Solr people considers this possible, and how I can get started on this
project? Is it possible to do a kind of a plugin, or?

Regards Mads

Re: Solr advanced boosting

Posted by Jamie Johnson <je...@gmail.com>.
Another option is to use something like edismax
http://wiki.apache.org/solr/ExtendedDisMax.  You simply assign your qf
as something like title^10 brand^5 description^1 and then do a sort
based on price/discount, i.e. sort=price asc, discount desc

Re: Solr advanced boosting

Re: Solr advanced boosting

Posted by Martin Koch <ma...@issuu.com>.
We're doing something similar: We want to combine search relevancy with a
fitness value computed from several other data sources.

For this, we pre-compute the fitness value for each document and store it a
flat file (lines of the format document_id=fitness_score) that we use an
externalFileField<http://lucene.apache.org/solr/api/org/apache/solr/schema/ExternalFileField.html>
access from Solr.

This file can be updated at regular intervals, e.g. to reflect recent views
or up/downvotes. It is re-read by solr on every commit.

The fitness field can then be included as a boost field in a (e)dismax
query.

/Martin