Posted to dev@spark.apache.org by Jo Voordeckers <jo...@gmail.com> on 2015/11/17 02:46:36 UTC

Mesos cluster dispatcher doesn't respect most args from the submit req

Hi all,

I'm running the mesos cluster dispatcher, however when I submit jobs with
things like jvm args, classpath order and UI port aren't added to the
commandline executed by the mesos scheduler. In fact it only cares about
the class, jar and num cores/mem.

https://github.com/jayv/spark/blob/mesos_cluster_params/core/src/main/scala/org/apache/spark/scheduler/cluster/mesos/MesosClusterScheduler.scala#L412-L424

I've made an attempt at adding a few of the args that I believe are useful
to the MesosClusterScheduler class, which seems to solve my problem.

Please have a look:

https://github.com/apache/spark/pull/9752

Thanks

- Jo Voordeckers

Re: Mesos cluster dispatcher doesn't respect most args from the submit req

Posted by Jo Voordeckers <jo...@gmail.com>.
Hi Tim,

I've done more forensics on this bug, see my comment here:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-11327?focusedCommentId=15009843&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-15009843

- Jo Voordeckers

Posted by Jo Voordeckers <jo...@gmail.com>.
Hi Tim,

Posted by Timothy Chen <tn...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jo,

Posted by Timothy Chen <tn...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jo,

Posted by Jo Voordeckers <jo...@gmail.com>.

SPARK-11327 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-11327> is exactly

Posted by Jo Voordeckers <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Iulian Dragoș <iu...@typesafe.com>.
Hi Jo,

I agree that there's something fishy with the cluster dispatcher, I've seen
some issues like that.

I think it actually tries to send all properties as part of
`SPARK_EXECUTOR_OPTS`, which may not be everything that's needed:

https://github.com/jayv/spark/blob/mesos_cluster_params/core/src/main/scala/org/apache/spark/scheduler/cluster/mesos/MesosClusterScheduler.scala#L375-L377

Can you please open a Jira ticket and describe also the symptoms? This
might be related, or the same issue: SPARK-11280
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-11280> and also SPARK-11327
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-11327>

thanks,
iulian

wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm running the mesos cluster dispatcher, however when I submit jobs with
> things like jvm args, classpath order and UI port aren't added to the
> commandline executed by the mesos scheduler. In fact it only cares about
> the class, jar and num cores/mem.
>

> https://github.com/jayv/spark/blob/mesos_cluster_params/core/src/main/scala/org/apache/spark/scheduler/cluster/mesos/MesosClusterScheduler.scala#L412-L424
>
> I've made an attempt at adding a few of the args that I believe are useful
> to the MesosClusterScheduler class, which seems to solve my problem.
>
> Please have a look:
>
> https://github.com/apache/spark/pull/9752
>
> Thanks
>
> - Jo Voordeckers

Iulian Dragos

------
Reactive Apps on the JVM
www.typesafe.com

Re: Mesos cluster dispatcher doesn't respect most args from the submit req

Posted by Iulian Dragoș <iu...@typesafe.com>.
Hi Jo,

wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm running the mesos cluster dispatcher, however when I submit jobs with
> things like jvm args, classpath order and UI port aren't added to the
> commandline executed by the mesos scheduler. In fact it only cares about
> the class, jar and num cores/mem.
>

> https://github.com/jayv/spark/blob/mesos_cluster_params/core/src/main/scala/org/apache/spark/scheduler/cluster/mesos/MesosClusterScheduler.scala#L412-L424
>
> I've made an attempt at adding a few of the args that I believe are useful
> to the MesosClusterScheduler class, which seems to solve my problem.
>
> Please have a look:
>
> https://github.com/apache/spark/pull/9752
>
> Thanks
>
> - Jo Voordeckers