Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Jorg Heymans <jh...@domek.be> on 2004/03/02 09:33:06 UTC

Stream vs Mapped IO (was Re: [VOTE] - Entry level JSDK 1.4 in Cocoon 2.2)

Has anyone else read Bruce Eckel's "Thinking in Java" ?

<quote> (chapter 12)
Although the performance of “old” stream I/O has been improved by
implementing it with nio, mapped file access tends to be dramatically
faster.
</quote>

So by switching to 1.4 and *not* using NIO you're likely to get a speed
bump already.

However switching to mapped file access (as was suggested before using
memory mapped files) from traditional stream IO would gain the most
significant increase.

<quote>
Stream Write: 1719
Mapped Write: 359
Stream Read: 750
Mapped Read: 125
Stream Read/Write: 5188
Mapped Read/Write: 16
</quote>

I am getting similar results over various runs. The test program is
attached (needs the test harness classes to run, but you can see what
he's doing)

The third edition including code samples is freely available from
http://mindview.net/Books/DownloadSites

I hope this helps making the decision 1.4 vs 1.3. I also started a poll
on the userlist to get a feeling of what the installed userbase is using
at the moment. I'll gather some stats and report back.

Regards
Jorg

RE: Stream vs Mapped IO (was Re: [VOTE] - Entry level JSDK 1.4 in Cocoon 2.2)

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.
I'm not against considering 1.4 for 2.2, but please have in mind
that we have to maintain 2.1.x first which is JDK 1.3 based and
we need a replacement for Jisp there.

Carsten