Posted to dev@bigtop.apache.org by Olaf Flebbe <o....@science-computing.de> on 2015/01/23 10:09:45 UTC

Disk Usage of docker images

Hi Roman,

Any help (i.e. pointer to the relevant doc or scripts) on setting up the docker build environment is much appreciated.... I simply had no time to dig through all the infos about ansible/vagrant/docker/puppet/container stuff and build it up for me on my laptop.
For compile jobs we use vmware ... but I would like to switch to docker sooner than later even. Basic docker know-how available.

Your concern is that docker images are getting too large.  Let me tell you that for our other products image sizes (Xen) are in 50Gb+ size, I would be very glad to reduce it with docker to several Gb through sharing common filesystem parts, this is a tremendous saving.

My main concern is not disk space, rather RAM usage.  javadoc generation (for instance for pig) is a monster. For instance I had to supply 4 GB of RAM to my vmware machine in order not to slooooowwww down tremendiously for Pig.

Olaf
Gerd-Lothar Leonhart
Vorstand/Board of Management:
Dr. Bernd Finkbeiner, Michael Heinrichs, Dr. Arno Steitz
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats/
Chairman of the Supervisory Board:
Philippe Miltin
Sitz/Registered Office: Tuebingen