Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by Laura Stewart <sc...@gmail.com> on 2006/09/08 22:02:50 UTC

SQL State XJ215 You cannot invoke other Clob/Blob methods after calling free.

The code for this message needs to be updated. All data type name
should be in uppercase.  They should appear as "CLOB/BLOB" not
"Clob/Blob".

Also, I hope that this message makes sense to others, I don't
understand what "calling free" means.

The current text is:

XJ215  You cannot invoke other Clob/Blob methods after calling free.

--
Laura Stewart

Re: Re: SQL State XJ215 You cannot invoke other Clob/Blob methods after calling free.

Posted by Andrew McIntyre <mc...@gmail.com>.
On 9/8/06, Laura Stewart <sc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9/8/06, Andrew McIntyre <mc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Perhaps this would have made the message clearer:
> >
> > " XJ215  You cannot invoke other Clob/Blob methods after calling the
> > free() method."
> >
> > andrew
> >

> Should the method name be capitalized, like data types?  Should
> "free()" be "FREE()"  I want to make sure that I understand how to
> refer to them now and in the future.

No, since the method is not capitalized. In this case, I'm not sure
Blob or Clob should be either, since they are referring to the Java
classes java.sql.Blob and java.sql.Clob which are not all uppercase.

andrew

Re: SQL State XJ215 You cannot invoke other Clob/Blob methods after calling free.

Posted by Laura Stewart <sc...@gmail.com>.
On 9/8/06, Daniel John Debrunner <dj...@apache.org> wrote:

> No, Java names are case sensitive. In this case the Clob/Blob are
> correct because the message is referring to method calls on the classes
> java.sql.Clob and java.sql.Blob. Though it may be benefical to have:
>
> XJ215  You cannot invoke other java.sql.Clob/java.sql.Blob methods after
> calling the free() method."
>
> Dan.

Thanks for the clarification on this. I need to learn more about Jave.
I have opened up derby-1836 for this issue.

--
Laura Stewart

Re: SQL State XJ215 You cannot invoke other Clob/Blob methods after calling free.

Posted by Daniel John Debrunner <dj...@apache.org>.

Posted by Laura Stewart <sc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrew McIntyre <mc...@gmail.com>.
On 9/8/06, Laura Stewart <sc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The code for this message needs to be updated. All data type name
> should be in uppercase.  They should appear as "CLOB/BLOB" not
> "Clob/Blob".
>
> Also, I hope that this message makes sense to others, I don't
> understand what "calling free" means.
>
> The current text is:
>
> XJ215  You cannot invoke other Clob/Blob methods after calling free.

free is a new method for Blobs/Clobs introduced in JDBC 4.0:
http://download.java.net/jdk6/docs/api/java/sql/Blob.html#free()

Posted by Laura Stewart <sc...@gmail.com>.
On 9/8/06, Jean T. Anderson <jt...@bristowhill.com> wrote:
> These are all great suggestions for rewording, Laura.  I suggest you
> open a Jira issue for all of them (and any more you find).
>
>  -jean

Okay, I will stop sending out messages about these and open a Jira
issue that will cover all of them.  Thanks for helping me understand
the protocol !!!

--
Laura Stewart

Re: SQL State XJ215 You cannot invoke other Clob/Blob methods after calling free.

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.