Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Min Chen <mi...@citrix.com> on 2013/02/27 19:27:10 UTC

Licensing for Vmware SDK 5.1

Hi there,

Since I am not a legal term expert, just post this question here to get confirmation from community. I googled around and tried to find exact term of licensing agreement for new Vmware SDK 5.1 for the SDK upgrade work I have done in feature branch vim51_win8, but can only find these two links:

http://communities.vmware.com/viewwebdoc.jspa?documentID=DOC-10141
http://communities.vmware.com/docs/DOC-7983

Do we need to add any extra copyright information in our code to use the SDK in our nonoss build?

Thanks
-min

Re: Licensing for Vmware SDK 5.1

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.
On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 10:27:10AM -0800, Min Chen wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> Since I am not a legal term expert, just post this question here to get confirmation from community. I googled around and tried to find exact term of licensing agreement for new Vmware SDK 5.1 for the SDK upgrade work I have done in feature branch vim51_win8, but can only find these two links:
>
> http://communities.vmware.com/viewwebdoc.jspa?documentID=DOC-10141
> http://communities.vmware.com/docs/DOC-7983
>
> Do we need to add any extra copyright information in our code to use the SDK in our nonoss build?
>
> Thanks
> -min

Thanks for raising this!

We don't actually provide any legal documentation for the non-oss
build version of the software, which is probably the right thing for us
to do.  So I don't see any action to be taken on this front.

One thing to note, is that the first link seems to help clarify VMware's
stance on any code that's generated from their WSDL (basically, it seems
they are at least OK with distribution of it).  We'll be able to
consider this (perhaps with advice from legal-discuss@a.o) when the time
comes for us to try to make VMware support a fully oss compatible
feature of the software.