Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by Danny Angus <da...@apache.org> on 2002/09/03 15:00:08 UTC

RE: Jakarta Newsletter - Request For Content

Rob,

Re James
"James is a mail and news server, supporting SMTP, POP3, NNTP, and
soon..IMAP (see below) and implementing the Apache Mailet API.
The Mailet API is an API providing an e-mail application development
framework, analogous to the servlet API.
The Mailet API is managed by the James project"

Since the last newsletter the James team have elected a new commiter, he is
Peter Goldstein. Peter has been throwing himself into all the tasks no-one
else really wanted to tackle. Go Peter!.

The current hot topic is IMAP, James had dropped IMAP from the HEAD of cvs
some while ago owing to lack of a champion, but in recent weeks Sascha
Kulawik has been focusing our attention on IMAP, and getting the basic
functionality straightened out. We're hoping to see IMAP return to James
distributions bigger and better than before before the next release.

We have voted to follow Ant good practice, and remove Ant from our cvs tree
and source distributions.

We have also been following through the issues raised since our last release
by the upgrade of the Phoenix core of James, and have now got a stable
milestone build running on this platform.
http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/jakarta-james/latest/
This work promoted some refactoring of IO, JDBC and String handling all
aimed at improving performance and stability.

Other topic discussed included the next release plan, ways we can encourage
contributions of documentation, and ideas for inclusion in future versions
of the Mailet API.

We have added HyperSonicSQL support for repositories thanks to Steve Belt,
and a new HOW-TO document explaining one way to use James with sendmail.

d.

Re: Jakarta Newsletter - Request For Content

Posted by Rob Oxspring <ro...@imapmail.org>.
Thanks - will be in the next draft!

Rob