Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Piroumian Konstantin <KP...@protek.com> on 2002/07/04 18:14:11 UTC

Having all the sitemaps in one directory

Hi colleagues!

An idea just came to me: what if all the sitemap files where located under
the WEB-INF directory and be mounted from the one that is called 'sitemap'
(or configured on xconf)? So, there can be:
	sitemap.xmap - the root sitemap
	samples.xmap - samples sub-sitemap
	docs.xmap - documentation sub-sitemap

This can serve for two purposes: better security (it's said that WEB-INF is
the most secure place in webapp context) and better managebility.

E.g. for Forrest I definitely see a need for sub-sitemaps, otherwise we will
end up with a huge and messy sitemap, but as Forrest should pull
documentation from multiple projects (from CVS) which does not contain any
sitemaps, so we are stuck to a single sitemap.

What do you think? Is it possible now? This should be as simple as using
another name (not 'sitemap') for the subsitemap and specify the needed 'src'
in map:mount. Am I right?

Konstantin

Re: Having all the sitemaps in one directory

Posted by "Enke, Michael" <mi...@wincor-nixdorf.com>.
Piroumian Konstantin wrote:

> Hi colleagues!
>
> An idea just came to me: what if all the sitemap files where located under
> the WEB-INF directory and be mounted from the one that is called 'sitemap'
> (or configured on xconf)? So, there can be:
>         sitemap.xmap - the root sitemap
>         samples.xmap - samples sub-sitemap
>         docs.xmap - documentation sub-sitemap
>
> This can serve for two purposes: better security (it's said that WEB-INF is
> the most secure place in webapp context) and better managebility.
>
> E.g. for Forrest I definitely see a need for sub-sitemaps, otherwise we will
> end up with a huge and messy sitemap, but as Forrest should pull
> documentation from multiple projects (from CVS) which does not contain any
> sitemaps, so we are stuck to a single sitemap.
>
> What do you think? Is it possible now? This should be as simple as using
> another name (not 'sitemap') for the subsitemap and specify the needed 'src'
> in map:mount. Am I right?

+1

Michael

Re: Having all the sitemaps in one directory

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
Agreed...  I like the mountable sitemaps concept..

Posted by Andy Lewis <aj...@ascii27.net>.
Uh...please don't do this....

I'm with Stefano - keep it relocatable. Putting them all together will dramatically change the way
coocon must be set up and managed.
For example - on the NASA Kennedy Space Center portal I'm syndicating a sitemap with each ICE
package (representing a channel, content area, portlet, or whatever term you like), and then
automounting them on the subscribing server. As it stands now, this works out great. This gives me
huge flexibility on what I can syndicate (database apps using the SQLTransformer, JSPs even), and
makes distribution very simple.

> Piroumian Konstantin wrote:
>>
>> Hi colleagues!
>>
>> An idea just came to me: what if all the sitemap files where located under the WEB-INF
>> directory and be mounted from the one that is called 'sitemap' (or configured on xconf)? So,
>> there can be:
>>         sitemap.xmap - the root sitemap
>>         samples.xmap - samples sub-sitemap
>>         docs.xmap - documentation sub-sitemap
>>
>> This can serve for two purposes: better security (it's said that WEB-INF is the most secure
>> place in webapp context) and better managebility.
>>
>> E.g. for Forrest I definitely see a need for sub-sitemaps, otherwise we will end up with a
>> huge and messy sitemap, but as Forrest should pull documentation from multiple projects (from
>> CVS) which does not contain any sitemaps, so we are stuck to a single sitemap.
>>
>> What do you think? Is it possible now? This should be as simple as using another name (not
>> 'sitemap') for the subsitemap and specify the needed 'src' in map:mount. Am I right?
>
> -1
>
> The fact that sitemaps are 'relocatable' allows people to give different access control to
> different parts of the URI space. Placing them all in one directory forces more overlap between
> the various sitemap managers of the variuos places of the URI space
>
> NOTE: nothing stops you from moving all your sitemaps in one location *NOW*, but I don't want
> to force people to do it.

>                          able to give birth to a dancing star.
> <st...@apache.org>                             Friedrich Nietzsche

"The heights of genius are only measurable by the depths of stupidity."

Re: Having all the sitemaps in one directory

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.