Posted to dev@manifoldcf.apache.org by Karl Wright <da...@gmail.com> on 2010/08/22 19:49:00 UTC

Need an opinion, on whether to change package or not

Consider this an official request for a vote.

+1 indicates you think we should change the following in the source code, as
soon as is practical:

org.apache.lcf.xxx -> org.apache.acf.xxx
All classes LCF.java and LCFException.java should change to ACF.java and
ACFException.java

Bear in mind that users of ACF/LCF who currently have existing database
instances will need to reinitialize those instances if we do this change.
This is because the class names of connectors are stored in the database
when the connector is registered.

(FWIW, my vote on this is -1.  It doesn't seem worth the disruption.  But I
will of course abide by the consensus.)

Vote will be considered closed by Wednesday evening, so vote early (and
often. ;-))
Karl

Re: Need an opinion, on whether to change package or not

Posted by Jettro Coenradie <je...@gridshore.nl>.
Cool, thanks

I don't want to be a pain, but trying to help improve the end result. And of
course I understand the project has a history and I know not everybody
thinks like me :-)

Jettro

--
Jettro Coenradie
http://www.gridshore.nl

RE: Need an opinion, on whether to change package or not

Posted by ka...@nokia.com.

--
Jettro Coenradie
http://www.gridshore.nl

Re: Need an opinion, on whether to change package or not

Posted by Jettro Coenradie <je...@gridshore.nl>.

--
Jettro Coenradie
http://www.gridshore.nl

Posted by Simon Willnauer <si...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Jettro Coenradie <je...@gridshore.nl>.

--
Jettro Coenradie
http://www.gridshore.nl

Re: Need an opinion, on whether to change package or not

Posted by Jettro Coenradie <je...@gridshore.nl>.
+1 for a complete change

--
Jettro Coenradie
http://www.gridshore.nl

Re: Need an opinion, on whether to change package or not

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jack Krupansky <ja...@lucidimagination.com>.
+1

-- Jack Krupansky

> Consider this an official request for a vote.
>
> +1 indicates you think we should change the following in the source code,
> as
> soon as is practical:
>
> org.apache.lcf.xxx -> org.apache.acf.xxx
> All classes LCF.java and LCFException.java should change to ACF.java and
> ACFException.java
>
> Bear in mind that users of ACF/LCF who currently have existing database
> instances will need to reinitialize those instances if we do this change.
> This is because the class names of connectors are stored in the database
> when the connector is registered.
>
> (FWIW, my vote on this is -1.  It doesn't seem worth the disruption.  But
> will of course abide by the consensus.)
>
> Vote will be considered closed by Wednesday evening, so vote early (and
> often. ;-))
> Karl

RE: Need an opinion, on whether to change package or not

Posted by ka...@nokia.com.
My apologies - I'm fairly new to this.  The procedures aren't yet ingrained. ;-)

Karl

> Consider this an official request for a vote.

Then please, next time mark it explicitly as such. This is usually
done, in Apache-land, by prefixing the subject with [VOTE]. This way
people who are in cursory-reading mode (like myself) won't be missing
an important decision point.

Gianugo

Re: Need an opinion, on whether to change package or not

Posted by Gianugo Rabellino <gi...@rabellino.it>.

Posted by Simon Willnauer <si...@googlemail.com>.
Karl, is the Fully-Qualified classname in the DB the only problem? I
mean you would break all kinds of BW compat if you change the package
names. All imports must be fixed etc.
One thing I don't get is that LCF has not yet been released, right?!
We can fix the DB issues in the code very easily but fixing the import
thing etc. is not that easy. I don't see any reason why we should
hesitate to rename the package names on an unreleased trunk. People
who use trunk follow a moving target anyway.

BTW: Did the name change vote succeed?

here is my +1 on the package name change provided my assumption above
are correct and if the name change vote was successful.

simon