Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by BugRat Mail System <to...@cortexity.com> on 2000/11/16 10:36:19 UTC

BugRat Report #396 has been filed.

Bug report #396 has just been filed.

   <http://znutar.cortexity.com/BugRatViewer/ShowReport/396>

REPORT #396 Details.

Project: Tomcat
Category: Bug Report
SubCategory: New Bug Report
Class: swbug
State: received
Severity: critical
Confidence: public
Environment:
   Release: 3.1
   JVM Release: 1.3.0
   Operating System: Solaris
   OS Release: 2.6
   Platform: Sun

Synopsis:
Asynchronous flushing of outputbuffers when using programmatic include in taglibs

Dear Sirs,
as part of a process of evaluating various JSP containers/app servers for a major project, we have written a small tag library that employs server-side include as part of a small framework for an application.
We have tried two flavors of include (three, actually, but the <jsp:include> tagged version works OK):
	programmatic using the include method contained in the RequestDispatcher class, and
	ditto in the PageContext class.
Both these seem to work OK, with one, grave exception: The output coming from the included files precede any output
from the surrounding page(!) This causes things to be presented to the end user in a somewhat undesireable way.
We have tried the code on other platforms, and the sequencing seems OK there.
Tomcat doesn't seem to flush the outstream from the surrounding page before output from the included files is sent to the outstream.
Our question: Is this a (unintentional) feature, i.e. should we expect Tomcat and other platforms to behave like this, or is this a bug in our build of tomcat?

sincerely
emh@finn.no