Posted to users@buildr.apache.org by Alex Boisvert <bo...@intalio.com> on 2008/05/24 17:30:47 UTC

Upgrade to JMock 2

(Cross-posting to buildr-user and buildr-dev)

While looking into Scala testing, I noticed we're still using JMock 1
(1.2.0) as default.  Would anybody oppose upgrading to JMock 2 (2.4.0) by
default?

JMock 2 features additional and cleaner APIs, but isn't 100% backward
compatible with JMock 1.   It also requires Java 1.5+.

The main reason I'm asking is because ScalaTest and Scala Specs rely on
JMock 2.   We could override the defaults for Scala projects but I figured
it would be better to have consistent defaults between Java/Scala.

alex

Re: Upgrade to JMock 2

Posted by Alex Boisvert <bo...@intalio.com>.
On Mon, Sep 22, 2008 at 2:25 PM, Assaf Arkin <ar...@intalio.com> wrote:

> How bad is the " isn't 100% backward compatible with JMock 1."

The documentation says:
"Removes API elements deprecated by version 1.2.0."

In the next release you'll be able to pick which version of JMock to
> use by setting a single line in build.yml.  If we don't make the
> upgrade yet, you can upgrade for your projects; if we do make the
> upgrade and it breaks, you can force your projects to use the older
> version.  But generally we don't want to have a point release that
> breaks, that's better pushed to the next major/minor release.

I'm fine waiting for 1.4.0.  We could also upgrade to JUnit 4.5 at the same
time.

alex

Re: Upgrade to JMock 2

Posted by Alex Boisvert <bo...@intalio.com>.

Re: Upgrade to JMock 2

Posted by Assaf Arkin <ar...@intalio.com>.
How bad is the " isn't 100% backward compatible with JMock 1."

In the next release you'll be able to pick which version of JMock to
use by setting a single line in build.yml.  If we don't make the
upgrade yet, you can upgrade for your projects; if we do make the
upgrade and it breaks, you can force your projects to use the older
version.  But generally we don't want to have a point release that
breaks, that's better pushed to the next major/minor release.

Assaf

Re: Upgrade to JMock 2

Posted by Assaf Arkin <ar...@intalio.com>.

Re: Upgrade to JMock 2