Posted to dev@velocity.apache.org by Mike Kienenberger <mk...@gmail.com> on 2015/05/29 17:34:07 UTC

Minimum java version for a 1.8 branch?

I think we should also upgrade the minimum java version required for
Velocity if we create a 1.8 branch.

    [javac] warning: [options] bootstrap class path not set in
conjunction with -source 1.4
    [javac] warning: [options] source value 1.4 is obsolete and will
be removed in a future release
    [javac] warning: [options] target value 1.4 is obsolete and will
be removed in a future release
    [javac] warning: [options] To suppress warnings about obsolete
options, use -Xlint:-options.

Java 1.5 is probably ok, but honestly, I don't have any systems that
have java 1.5 or 1.6 installed any more, and Oracle Java 1.6 is now
EOL.  I'd suggest we go with Java 1.7, but try to avoid (at least in
the short term) usage new language features.   Officially, support and
release with 1.7 but unofficially let someone recompile it with 1.5?

Re: Minimum java version for a 1.8 branch?

Posted by Nathan Bubna <nb...@gmail.com>.
+1 For a Velocity 1.8 branch, that sounds reasonable to me.