Posted to user@hadoop.apache.org by Ashwin Shankar <as...@gmail.com> on 2014/06/12 02:52:59 UTC

Why resource requests are normalized in RM ?

Hi,
Anyone knows why resource requests from AMs are normalized to
be multiples of yarn.scheduler.minimum-allocation-mb which is 1G
by default ?
Also is there any problem with reducing yarn.scheduler.minimum-allocation-mb
to less
than 1G ?

 /**

   * Utility method to normalize a list of resource requests, by insuring
that

   * the memory for each request is a multiple of minMemory and is not zero.

   */

SchedulerUtils.normalizeRequests()
Ashwin

Re: Why resource requests are normalized in RM ?

Posted by Karthik Kambatla <ka...@cloudera.com>.
I believe they are normalized to be multiples of
yarn.scheduler.increment-allocation-mb.
yarn.scheduler.minimum-allocation-mb can be set to as low as zero. Llama
does this.

As to why normalization, I think it is to make sure there is no external
fragmentation. It is similar to why memory is paged.

Posted by Karthik Kambatla <ka...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Karthik Kambatla <ka...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Karthik Kambatla <ka...@cloudera.com>.