Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org> on 2009/03/28 14:08:12 UTC

Untouchable header fields ?

Folks,

Am I right in looking at (trunk, 2.2):

file: http_filters.c

    function basic_http_header
    if (proxy)
    else {
        date = apr_palloc(r->pool, APR_RFC822_DATE_LEN);
        ap_recent_rfc822_date(date, r->request_time);
        form_header_field(&h, "Date", date);
        form_header_field(&h, "Server", ap_get_server_banner());
    }

to surmise that modules or other dl-loaded code - fundamentally cannot
overwride certain headers such as the Date/Server ? Or is my module just
plain buggy ?

Thanks,

Dw.

Re: Untouchable header fields ?

Posted by Colm MacCárthaigh <co...@allcosts.net>.
On Sat, Mar 28, 2009 at 2:27 PM, Paul Querna <pa...@querna.org> wrote:

> I believe there have been bug reports/requests to allow changing the
> Server header, but no one has complained about Date: before.

Heh, I made it modifiable, and provided a patch iirc , but noone else liked
it :-)

http://www.maths.tcd.ie/~dwmalone/p/login06.pdf

for details on the use-case (it's a fun read).

--
Colm

Re: Untouchable header fields ?

Posted by Paul Querna <pa...@querna.org>.
On Sat, Mar 28, 2009 at 2:08 PM, Dirk-Willem van Gulik
<di...@webweaving.org> wrote:
> Folks,
>
> Am I right in looking at (trunk, 2.2):
>
> file: http_filters.c
>
>    function basic_http_header
>    if (proxy)
>    else {
>        date = apr_palloc(r->pool, APR_RFC822_DATE_LEN);
>        ap_recent_rfc822_date(date, r->request_time);
>        form_header_field(&h, "Date", date);
>        form_header_field(&h, "Server", ap_get_server_banner());
>    }
>
> to surmise that modules or other dl-loaded code - fundamentally cannot
> overwride certain headers such as the Date/Server ? Or is my module just
> plain buggy ?

Correct, it is not currently possible to easily override these two
headers, without getting a little too creative with your filter stack
:)