Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org> on 2003/01/25 10:20:13 UTC

Re: Cocoon is too complex for consumption?

Robert Simmons wrote:

> Users tell me to go to wiki (which is down allot or just really slow) to
> find information but its like hunting for an needle in a haystack.

This is worrying me. Is that the case? Has anyone experienced
performance issues with http://wiki.cocoondev.org/ ?

<snip/>

> I guess I'm rambling a bit and I'm sorry. Its just frustrating to spend
> several hours on something and essentially get nowhere. Cocoon may be a
> powerful product, but it will never go mainstream in the web, imho, with
> its level of difficulty in understanding it.

... it seems like you are very opinionated, and should thus be a good
contributor to the Cocoon Documentation effort.

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

RE: Cocoon is too complex for consumption?

Posted by Geoff Howard <co...@leverageweb.com>.

Ok, just wasn't sure you were aware.  Can you alter Error.jsp to mention
this
known bug and direct them to refresh the page?

> (Oh BTW, I saw other Cocoon Wikis to be announced recently. Frankly: I
> moved the Wiki away from its outerthought.* affiliation to the neutral
> cocoondev.org domain to make sure it potentially outlives its 'host',
> and that people don't feel inhibited to contribute. During January, we
> received only 34 referrer hits on outerthought.org from the Wiki,
> because Outerthought is linked in the LeftMenu. Please take this in
> account when forking the Wiki effort: you won't be getting rich when
> hosting a Wiki on your own domain name.)

I wouldn't think less of you if you made it more obvious that outerthought
is
sponsoring it.  Your link is buried below the fold and doesn't give context
clues about what you are.

Geoff Howard

Re: Cocoon is too complex for consumption?

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.
Jeff Turner wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 25, 2003 at 09:12:25AM -0500, Geoff Howard wrote:
>
> <on the wiki>

> I can confirm that.  I got this error when searching for 'block'.  Second
> time round, everything worked.

IIRC, that's a confirmed bug of the JSPWiki version that is currently in
use. I am awaiting a new release which solves that, since I'm not
planning to use HEAD for such a busy resource (it seems the diff mails
motivate people to contribute even more)

(Oh BTW, I saw other Cocoon Wikis to be announced recently. Frankly: I
moved the Wiki away from its outerthought.* affiliation to the neutral
cocoondev.org domain to make sure it potentially outlives its 'host',
and that people don't feel inhibited to contribute. During January, we
received only 34 referrer hits on outerthought.org from the Wiki,
because Outerthought is linked in the LeftMenu. Please take this in
account when forking the Wiki effort: you won't be getting rich when
hosting a Wiki on your own domain name.)

Yup, I'm in a nasty ranting mode ;-)

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

Re: Cocoon is too complex for consumption?

Posted by Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>.
On Sat, Jan 25, 2003 at 09:12:25AM -0500, Geoff Howard wrote:

<on the wiki>
> Now that we're on the subject though I've been getting errors on the search
> page.  Haven't quite figured out what triggers it.
> My best guess at this
> point is that it seems to happen the first time I search a new term.  For
> instance, try searching for "first time" or some other thing you or others
> have probably not searched for.  If you can't reproduce it I can send a
> screen shot so you don't think I'm insane.
>
> The error says:
> Main
> An unknown exception was caught by Error.jsp.
>
> And the wiki wrapper is repeated inside the content area (probably need to
> un-skin Error.jsp?)

I can confirm that.  I got this error when searching for 'block'.  Second
time round, everything worked.

--Jeff

Posted by Antonio Gallardo <ag...@agsoftware.dnsalias.com>.
<snip>
Its just frustrating to spend several hours on something and essentially
get nowhere. Cocoon may be a  powerful product, but it will never go
mainstream in the web, imho, with  its level of difficulty in
understanding it.
</snip>

Hi!

I felt the same at the beggining (6 months ago), but something told me
that I am in the right way to discover something great with a new world of
opportunities. The true is that because Cocoon is a very new technology,
there is a lack of documentation. But I am wondering about your
impatience, because 6 month ago was almost nothing and now you have the
option to buy 3 books and the wiki is running with very usefull info.

First, to work with Cocoon you must start learning many new concepts like
XML, XSL, XSP, etc.

For some of us it was frustating, but if you stay here your time invests
will refund you with the continuity of that. I can add that I jumped from
Visual Basic directly to XML app. A big jump. But now I am very happy of
how we changed the curse.

Personally, Cocoon with XML is the next revolution on the Web. You cannot
stay out of it. I already saw the GUI revolution and the Web revolution.
Now we will live the Linux and the XML revolution. Please take note of
that.

OK. That was a too long guiri-guiri (means bla, bla bla in Nicaragua)...

Please check:

http://wiki.cocoondev.org/Wiki.jsp?page=Tutorials

I recently added the famous 3 tutorials of Leigh Dodds at IBM
developersworks that changed my life. ;-)

I hope it will help you too.

Best Regards,

Antonio Gallardo

RE: Cocoon is too complex for consumption?

Posted by Geoff Howard <co...@leverageweb.com>.

No - I had no idea what he was talking about, and I've been using the Wiki
lately.  He's only been working with cocoon for 12 hours so he can't have
hit the wiki often to really comment on what it "usually" is.