Posted to derby-user@db.apache.org by rob <fu...@gmail.com> on 2011/06/13 22:13:25 UTC

Update from 10.7 to 10.8

Hi,

sorry for the question,  i am new to derby, i have some databases
created with derby 10.7, i would like to update to 10.8, my doubt is :
can i always open a database created with 10.7 with the 10.8
derby.jar?

>From my tests seems ok, but just to be sure if someone more expert
than me can confirm this.

I see, and this is ok, that the opposite is not possible, i cannot
open a database created with 10.8 with 10.7 because the format is
different.

So there is some automatic format's conversion when you open a 10.7
database with 10.8?

Thanks for the answers.

Bye

Re: Update from 10.7 to 10.8

Posted by Rick Hillegas <ri...@oracle.com>.
Hi Rob,

Because of the difference between hard and soft-upgrade, there are two
version numbers which might be interesting:

1) The version number of the Derby code in the Derby jar files.

2) The version number of the data stored in a particular database.

You can get the answer to (1) by calling the DatabaseMetaData methods
getDatabaseMajorVersion() and getDatabaseMinorVersion(). E.g.:

    connection.getMetaData().getDatabaseMajorVersion()
    connection.getMetaData().getDatabaseMinorVersion()

You can get the answer to (2) as follows. Note that this technique is
not part of Derby's public API and could change in the future (although
it has remained stable for the past 6 years). The following method
returns a ResultSet with 1 row with 1 column which contains the
information you need:

   connection.prepareStatement( "values
syscs_util.syscs_get_database_property( 'DataDictionaryVersion' )"
).executeQuery()

Hope this helps,
-Rick

Re: Update from 10.7 to 10.8