Posted to mapreduce-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Arun C Murthy <ac...@hortonworks.com> on 2013/10/02 01:15:08 UTC

2.1.2 (Was: Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Hadoop 2.1.1-beta)

Guys,

 I took a look at the content in 2.1.2-beta so far, other than the critical fixes such as HADOOP-9984 (symlinks) and few others in YARN/MR, there is fairly little content (unit tests fixes etc.)

 Furthermore, it's standing up well in testing too. Plus, the protocols look good for now (I wrote a gohadoop to try convince myself), let's lock them in.

 Given that, I'm thinking we can just go ahead rename it 2.2.0 rather than make another 2.1.x release.

 This will drop a short-lived release (2.1.2) and help us move forward on 2.3 which has a fair bunch of content already...

 Thoughts?

thanks,
Arun

Arun C. Murthy
Hortonworks Inc.
http://hortonworks.com/

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: 2.1.2 (Was: Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Hadoop 2.1.1-beta)

Posted by sanjay Radia <sa...@hortonworks.com>.
+1 for naming the new branch 2.2.0
sanjay

Posted by sanjay Radia <sa...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Suresh Srinivas <su...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Arun C Murthy <ac...@hortonworks.com>.
Looks like we are all clear now, I'll create an RC presently.

Thanks everyone.

Arun

--
Arun C. Murthy
Hortonworks Inc.

Posted by Colin McCabe <cm...@alumni.cmu.edu>.
On Tue, Oct 1, 2013 at 8:59 PM, Arun C Murthy <ac...@hortonworks.com> wrote:
> Yes, sorry if it wasn't clear.
>
> As others seem to agree, I think we'll be better getting a protocol/api stable GA done and then iterating on bugs etc.
>
> I'm not super worried about HADOOP-9984 since symlinks just made it to branch-2.1 recently.
>
> Currently we only have 2 blockers: HADOOP-9984 & MAPREDUCE-5530. Both of which are PA and I've reviewed MR-5530 and is good to go (thanks Robert). Hopefully we can finish up HADOOP-9984 asap and we'll be good.

We've had several reviews for HADOOP-9984 and are currently just
waiting on a +1.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but will the 2.2 release be made
from branch-2 or what is currently named branch-2.1-beta?  If it is
the latter, we have a few backports we'll need to do.

Colin

Posted by Arun C Murthy <ac...@hortonworks.com>.

--
Arun C. Murthy
Hortonworks Inc.

Posted by Colin McCabe <cm...@alumni.cmu.edu>.

Posted by Arun C Murthy <ac...@hortonworks.com>.

--
Arun C. Murthy
Hortonworks Inc.

Posted by Colin McCabe <cm...@alumni.cmu.edu>.

Posted by Arun C Murthy <ac...@hortonworks.com>.

--
Arun C. Murthy
Hortonworks Inc.

Posted by Arun C Murthy <ac...@hortonworks.com>.
Yes, sorry if it wasn't clear.

--
Arun C. Murthy
Hortonworks Inc.

Posted by Arun C Murthy <ac...@hortonworks.com>.
Yes, sorry if it wasn't clear.

--
Arun C. Murthy
Hortonworks Inc.

Posted by Arun C Murthy <ac...@hortonworks.com>.
Yes, sorry if it wasn't clear.

--
Arun C. Murthy
Hortonworks Inc.

Posted by Arun C Murthy <ac...@hortonworks.com>.
Yes, sorry if it wasn't clear.

--
Arun C. Murthy
Hortonworks Inc.

Posted by Alejandro Abdelnur <tu...@cloudera.com>.
Arun,

> [...]

> of
> >> hadoop-2.1.0-beta as a result of significant amounts of testing.

> >> hadoop-2.x.

> >> http://people.apache.org/~acmurthy/hadoop-2.1.1-beta-rc0
> >>
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/hadoop/common/tags/release-2.1.1-beta-rc0

> days.

> >> --
> >> Arun C. Murthy
> >> Hortonworks Inc.
> >> http://hortonworks.com/
> >>

> >> --
> >> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
> >> NOTICE: This message is intended for the use of the individual or
> entity to
> reader
> >> of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified
> that
> >> received this communication in error, please contact the sender

Alejandro

Re: 2.1.2 (Was: Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Hadoop 2.1.1-beta)

Posted by Suresh Srinivas <su...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Alejandro Abdelnur <tu...@cloudera.com>.
Arun,

> [...]

> of
> >> hadoop-2.1.0-beta as a result of significant amounts of testing.

> >> hadoop-2.x.

> >> http://people.apache.org/~acmurthy/hadoop-2.1.1-beta-rc0
> >>
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/hadoop/common/tags/release-2.1.1-beta-rc0

> days.

> >> --
> >> Arun C. Murthy
> >> Hortonworks Inc.
> >> http://hortonworks.com/
> >>

> >> --
> >> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
> >> NOTICE: This message is intended for the use of the individual or
> entity to
> reader
> >> of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified
> that
> >> received this communication in error, please contact the sender

Alejandro

Re: 2.1.2 (Was: Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Hadoop 2.1.1-beta)

Posted by Andrew Wang <an...@cloudera.com>.
HADOOP-9984 is going to break interface compatibility for out-of-tree
FileSystems. It'd also be good to let downstream components do some testing
before GA.

Thanks,
Andrew

Posted by Andrew Wang <an...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Jagane Sundar <ja...@sundar.org>.
+1
Makes good sense.

Jagane

Posted by Colin McCabe <cm...@alumni.cmu.edu>.
I don't think HADOOP-9972 is a must-do for the next Apache release,
whatever version number it ends up having.  It's just adding a new
API, not changing any existing ones, and it can be done entirely in
generic code.  (The globber doesn't involve FileSystem or AFS
subclasses).

My understanding is that GA is about stabilizing APIs rather than
achieving feature completeness on symlinks.

Colin

Posted by Colin McCabe <cm...@alumni.cmu.edu>.

Posted by Colin McCabe <cm...@alumni.cmu.edu>.

Posted by Andrew Wang <an...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Andrew Wang <an...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org>.
<vi...@hortonworks.com> wrote:
> +1. We should get an RC as soon as possible so that we can get all the downstream components to sign off.
> The earlier the better.

On this very note -- would there be any interest in joining efforts
with the Bigtop integration aimed at Hadoop 2.2.x based release
of all the Hadoop ecosystem projects?

Our current plan is to release Bigtop 0.7.0 within a couple of weeks.
That will be the last stable 2.0.x-based release. Bigtop 0.8.0 is supposed to

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org>.

Posted by Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vi...@hortonworks.com>.
+1. We should get an RC as soon as possible so that we can get all the downstream components to sign off. The earlier the better.

Thanks,
+Vinod

Posted by Suresh Srinivas <su...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vi...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Alejandro Abdelnur <tu...@cloudera.com>.
Arun,

> [...]

> of
> >> hadoop-2.1.0-beta as a result of significant amounts of testing.

> >> hadoop-2.x.

> >> http://people.apache.org/~acmurthy/hadoop-2.1.1-beta-rc0
> >>
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/hadoop/common/tags/release-2.1.1-beta-rc0

> days.

> >> --
> >> Arun C. Murthy
> >> Hortonworks Inc.
> >> http://hortonworks.com/
> >>

> >> --
> >> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
> >> NOTICE: This message is intended for the use of the individual or
> entity to
> reader
> >> of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified
> that
> >> received this communication in error, please contact the sender

Alejandro

Re: 2.1.2 (Was: Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Hadoop 2.1.1-beta)

Posted by Suresh Srinivas <su...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Suresh Srinivas <su...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vi...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vi...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Alejandro Abdelnur <tu...@cloudera.com>.
Arun,

> [...]

> of
> >> hadoop-2.1.0-beta as a result of significant amounts of testing.

> >> hadoop-2.x.

> >> http://people.apache.org/~acmurthy/hadoop-2.1.1-beta-rc0
> >>
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/hadoop/common/tags/release-2.1.1-beta-rc0

> days.

> >> --
> >> Arun C. Murthy
> >> Hortonworks Inc.
> >> http://hortonworks.com/
> >>

> >> --
> >> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
> >> NOTICE: This message is intended for the use of the individual or
> entity to
> reader
> >> of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified
> that
> >> received this communication in error, please contact the sender

Alejandro