Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Jon Card <jc...@crownpartners.com> on 2007/10/27 01:35:15 UTC

Doxia docbook module requirements

I'm an instructor at a consulting company and I've been writing my labs
and teaching materials in APT as a part of the software project that are
used as part of the lab. I'm using Maven to convert that to Docbook and
FOP to convert that to PDF. The problem has been that I didn't like the
output of the docbook component. Over the last week, I've "fixed" the
elements of the docbook module and docbook renderer that I didn't like.
I'm willing to give that code back as a contribution to the project, but
I don't know why it was written the way it was in the first place. I
haven't had a chance to check Jira to see if these are bugs that are
already registered, but I will. How do I know if I've "fixed" something
that was written in particular way on purpose?

The biggest things I've fixed are:

A section with a title of "the title" and paragraph "the paragraph" was
being rendered as "<section>the title<para>the

A book rendered will have a "chapter" as the top-level element, when it
would seem more proper to have a "book" element as the top-level,
particularly as the module, in some other configuration that I don't yet
understand, would render "article" as the top-level element, and "book"
and "article" are peers in the schema.

A Doxia book descriptor lists a "book", which has "chapters", which has
"sections" that correspond to (in my case) APT files. The output that's
rendered has a "chapter" element as the root, which has "sections" that
correspond to (in my case) APT files, but no distinction is made between
APT files that are listed in the Doxia book descriptor as being in
different (Doxia) "chapters". Even if you are making a (Doxia) "book"
correspond to a (Docbook) "chapter", shouldn't the hierarchy of the book
descriptor be reflected in the hierarchy in the target?

The Doxia book descriptor allows the specification of a title and author
of a "book", "chapter", and "section". The rendition always takes these
from the source documents. I have the system taking them from the source
document, but giving priority to the Doxia book descriptor.

If you don't like what I've done, I'm happy to deploy this to our
company repository and keep it for myself. If there's some documentation
or discussion as to why it was implemented the way it's been done, I'd
like to see it; maybe I didn't see something. If there's other use cases
(I've been focusing on the docbook module used in the book rendering
mode) that I can test, I'll do that before sending any patches. If you'd
like me to log these as bugs in Jira, I'll do that, too. I just don't
even know if you'd want what I did.

Jon Card
Crown Partners
O 303.350.1115
M 303.916.3966
F 303.770.9054
jcard@crownpartners.com <ma...@crownpartners.com>

 Crown Partners is pleased to announce the acquisition of Phoenix Systems, Platform Dynamics US, and Platform Dynamics Europe (www.platformdynamics.net). This integration reiterates our commitment to Enterprise Content Management software products, premier services and global expansion.
Crown is also identified as America's 101st fastest growing, privately held, software company in 2007 by Inc Magazine's Inc500 list.  See us at www.crownpartners.com. This is the second year in a row that Crown has been identified in the prestigious Inc500 list.

This communication and all accompanying attachments and related information and data is confidential and proprietary information of Crown Partners, LLC.  This communication is intended solely for receipt by the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient, you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing or using any of this information. If you received this communication in error, please contact the sender immediately and destroy the material in its entirety, whether electronic or hard copy.  This communication may contain nonpublic information about individuals and businesses subject to the restrictions of the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act.  You may not directly or indirectly reuse or redisclose such information for any purpose other than to provide the services for which you are receiving the information. 7750 Paragon Rd., Dayton OH 45459.

Re: Doxia docbook module requirements

Posted by Vincent Siveton <vi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jon,

(next time on doxia-dev@maven ML)

2007/10/26, Jon Card <jc...@crownpartners.com>:

> I'm an instructor at a consulting company and I've been writing my labs and teaching materials in APT as a part of the software project that are used as part of the lab. I'm using Maven to convert that to Docbook and FOP to convert that to PDF. The problem has been

Why not trying to use the FO module?
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/maven/doxia/doxia/trunk/doxia-modules/doxia-module-fo

that I didn't like the output of the docbook component. Over the last
week, I've "fixed" the elements of the docbook module and docbook
renderer that I didn't like. I'm willing to give that code back as a
contribution to the project, but I don't know why it was written the
way it was in the first place. I haven't had a chance to check Jira to
see if these are bugs that are already registered, but I will. How do
I know if I've "fixed" something that was written in particular way on
purpose?

Tests should always be happy? :D

> The biggest things I've fixed are:

Sounds a bug :)

> A book rendered will have a "chapter" as the top-level element, when it would seem more proper to have a "book" element as the top-level, particularly as the module, in some other configuration that I don't yet understand, would render "article" as the top-level element, and "book" and "article" are peers in the schema.
>

> A Doxia book descriptor lists a "book", which has "chapters", which has "sections" that correspond to (in my case) APT files. The output that's rendered has a "chapter" element as the root, which has "sections" that correspond to (in my case) APT files, but no distinction is made between APT files that are listed in the Doxia book descriptor as being in different (Doxia) "chapters". Even if you are making a (Doxia) "book" correspond to a (Docbook) "chapter", shouldn't the hierarchy of the book descriptor be reflected in the hierarchy in the target?

Not sure to understand what you mean: on the file system?

> The Doxia book descriptor allows the specification of a title and author of a "book", "chapter", and "section". The rendition always takes these from the source documents. I have the system taking them from the source document, but giving priority to the Doxia book descriptor.

Right: priority to book descriptor.

> If you don't like what I've done, I'm happy to deploy this to our company repository and keep it for myself. If there's some documentation or discussion as to why it was implemented the way it's been done, I'd like to see it; maybe I didn't see something. If

Not a lot of doc about the implementation...

there's other use cases (I've been focusing on the docbook module used
in the book rendering mode) that I can test, I'll do that before
sending any patches. If you'd like me to log these as bugs in Jira,
I'll do that, too. I just don't even know if you'd want what I did.

Jira is always the best way, so could you open issues for all of them?
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/DOXIA
Better with test cases:)

Cheers,

Vincent

Posted by Lukas Theussl <lt...@apache.org>.
FYI: I have fixed a few issues that were within my reach :), for the
rest I have opened a jira: http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/DOXIA-184

-Lukas

Posted by Lukas Theussl <lt...@apache.org>.