Posted to soap-user@xml.apache.org by Simone Chiaretta <si...@logicapiu.it> on 2001/04/17 10:38:15 UTC

Need a small soap implementation

Hola hombre,
first of all I want to wish all of u soap developer an happy Easter (even if
a bit late).
Then I've a question for u.
I've to develop a java applet that have to connect to a soap server, but the
biggest problem connected with using the "standard" Apache library is that I
need to enclose the Xerces and Apache-SOAP library and this is 1.5 Mb +
200Kb.... and this is too much just for an applet.
So I'd like to know if there is a way to "shorten" the libraries so that I
can keep the sike of the whole packege under 4-500 Kbs.
Is this possibile with Apache Soap or do I need to swap to another soap
pachage or develop a "custom" and targeted xml-parser that looks only for
the subset of feautures I'm using in my web service?

Thanx for ur help
Simone

Re: Need a small soap implementation

Posted by Simone Chiaretta <si...@logicapiu.it>.
Yeah.. this seems nice... but the problem is that the IE have a 1.1.boh JVM
and this could be problem.. the JRE is much more "heavy" then the
Xerces+SOAP.....
Anyway... I'll test this implementation for sure.
Thank you
Simone
> > I've to develop a java applet that have to connect to a soap server, but
> > the biggest problem connected with using the "standard" Apache library
is
> > that I need to enclose the Xerces and Apache-SOAP library and this is
1.5
> > Mb + 200Kb.... and this is too much just for an applet.So I'd like to
know
> > if there is a way to "shorten" the libraries so that I can keep the sike
of
> > the whole packege under 4-500 Kbs.
>
> hi,
>
> please consider SoapRMI it is 183KB (including full XML parser) and you
can
> download it from:
> http://www.extreme.indiana.edu/soap/rmi/download/ (for more details about
> design please check: http://www.extreme.indiana.edu/soap/).
>
> it requires JDK 1.3 and it should works fine with java plugin. you will
not
> have to do marshaling by hand (it can marshall automatically any java
bean),
> moreover it does support callbacks (through its own RMI remote references)
so
> it should work well for your application. let me know if you have problems
> with it (there is also small untested example of applet in SoapRMI see:
> samples/bboard).
>
> thanks,
>
> alek
>
> --
> Aleksander Slominski, LH 316, IU, http://www.extreme.indiana.edu/~aslom
> As I look afar I see neither cherry Nor tinted leaves Just a modest hut
> on the coast In the dusk of Autumn nightfall - Fujiwara no
Teika(1162-1241)

Re: Need a small soap implementation

Posted by Aleksander Slominski <as...@cs.indiana.edu>.

Posted by Aleksander Slominski <as...@cs.indiana.edu>.