Posted to general@xml.apache.org by "Truong, Bon" <bt...@netfish.com> on 2000/01/13 06:43:28 UTC

Printing a document without whitespace between the elements

Hi,

I have written class that extends DOMParser. In that class I override the
method "ignorableWhitespace",
which looks like this:

   public void ignorableWhitespace(int dataIndex) throws Exception
    {
    if(! NotIncludeIgnorableWhiteSpaces )
       super.ignorableWhitespace( dataIndex);
    else
       ;// Ignore ignorable white spaces
    }// ignorableWhitespace

In the same class, there is also a method "print",
which has one switch case like this one:

         case Node.TEXT_NODE: {

             out.print(normalize(node.getNodeValue()));

             break;
          }

But when I run the program it prints the whitespace between the elements.
How can I get it not to print all the whitespace?

Thanks.

Bon

Re: Printing a document without whitespace between the elements

Posted by Ralf Pfeiffer <rp...@apache.org>.
The ignore ignorableWhitespace functionality that you are attempting to
provide has recently  been implemented. Please extract the latest, and check
out the new
Xerces feature (comments from the DOMParser code):

            //
http://apache.org/xml/features/dom/include-ignorable-whitespace
            //   This feature determines whether text nodes that can be
            //   considered "ignorable whitespace" are included in the DOM
            //   tree.
            //   Note: The only way that the parser can determine if text
            //         is ignorable is by reading the associated grammar
            //         and having a content model for the document. When
            //         ignorable whitespace text nodes *are* included in
            //         the DOM tree, they will be flagged as ignorable.
            //         The ignorable flag can be queried by calling the
            //         TextImpl#isIgnorableWhitespace():boolean method.