Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by Mike Comb <mi...@panomark.com> on 2012/12/12 06:51:21 UTC

Wicket widget for deployment to third party site

Hi, I have a need to create some javascript based widgets that will be deployed to a variety of websites that are out of my control.  I was planning on using one of the existing javascript UI frameworks with json for callbacks to my servers (which are running Wicket for normal consumer facing stuff).  It occurred to me that what I will be implementing is very similar to how Wicket deals with Ajax, pushing markup out to the browser to be rendered by a javascript layer with support for javascript callbacks to the server for interactivity.  I'm wondering if there is any way I can leverage that existing functionality so that I can code my widgets as wicket components and not reinvent the wheel?  Has anybody used wicket for creating components that aren't used from within wicket pages (and are deployed purely from javascript, I'd like to avoid iframes)?  Any tips or links to examples would be appreciated.

Thanks,
-Mike

Re: Wicket widget for deployment to third party site

Posted by Mike Comb <mi...@panomark.com>.
The requirements are pretty simple, the widget will contain a form field or two that will be submitted back to a server via AJAX and present results back to the user on the site hosting the widget.  Think of the ubiquitous Twitter or Facebook share widgets as existing similar examples to the functionality I need.  Yes, CORS is an issue, but there seems to be a workaround that jQuery and other libraries use called JSONP.  This HOWTO documents the jQuery way of doing it:

http://alexmarandon.com/articles/web_widget_jquery/

I'm trying to figure out if wicket can simplify this for me, if not I'll probably just follow that example and push JSON or HTML to a jQuery widget from a ResourceReference or plain servlet.  I'm not sure where I would begin in creating a mini-app unless you can point me at existing wicket functionality that would at least get me close.  I've found ComponentRenderingRequestHandler which might be helpful in combination with a jquery based widget, but I'm not sure how I'd handle the wicket javascript includes that would be needed to support the component.  Seems like it would get messy and fragile quickly.  That's when I thought of wicket's existing AJAX component rendering (and re-rendering) capability which seems to handle that stuff already if I could tie into it (but maybe that's not possible without CORS and absolute URL support in wicket).

-Mike

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.
Hi,