Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by prateek arora <pr...@gmail.com> on 2016/06/01 20:49:23 UTC

Kafka broker slow down when consumer try to fetch large messages from topic

I have 4 node kafka broker with following configuration :

Default Number of Partitions  : num.partitions : 1
Default Replication Factor : default.replication.factor : 1
Maximum Message Size : message.max.bytes : 10 MB
Replica Maximum Fetch Size : replica.fetch.max.bytes : 10 MB

Right now I have 4 topic with 1 partition and 1 replication factor .

"Topic Name" : "Broker Id" :  "Total Messages Received Across Kafka Broker"
: "Total Bytes Received Across Kafka Broker"
Topic 1  - Leader Kafka Broker 1 :  4.67 Message/Second  :  1.6 MB/second
Topic 2  - Leader Kafka Broker 2 :  4.78 Message/Second  :  4.1 MB/second
Topic 3  - Leader Kafka Broker 1 :  4.83  Message/Second   : 1.6 MB/second
Topic 4  - Leader Kafka Broker 3  : 4.8 Message/Second   :   4.3 MB/second

Message consist of <String , Array[Byte] >.

when consumer tried to read message from "Topic 2"  Kafka Broker rate of
 message receiving slow down from 4.77 message/second to 3.12
message/second  , after some time  try to goes up .

I also attached screenshot of "Total Messages Received Across Kafka Broker"
 and "Total Bytes Received Across Kafka Broker" for topic "Topic 2" .

can someone explain why it is happen and how to solve it ?

Regards
Prateek

Re: Kafka broker slow down when consumer try to fetch large messages from topic

Posted by R Krishna <kr...@gmail.com>.
Prateek, hope you looked at compression?

--
Radha Krishna, Proddaturi
253-234-5657

Re: Kafka broker slow down when consumer try to fetch large messages from topic

Posted by Tom Crayford <tc...@heroku.com>.

Posted by prateek arora <pr...@gmail.com>.
Hi

Posted by Tom Crayford <tc...@heroku.com>.