Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Adam Brin <ab...@digitalantiquity.org> on 2016/06/28 23:37:00 UTC

tiles, sitemesh, velocity and other template engines

Hi All,
  I've been reviewing our templating implementation (currently sitemesh2)
and noticed that it seems  like the three main template engines that
Struts2 supports are all effectively unsupported, and implementation of
sitemesh 3 (which has been barely updated since it was released seems
stalled). What templating engines are others using, and are there
alternatives that are better supported?  I wonder / worry about security
issues among other things.

*Velocity:*
last updated 2010 --
http://mvnrepository.com/artifact/org.apache.velocity/velocity/1.7

*Tiles:*
last updated 2014 --
http://mvnrepository.com/artifact/org.apache.tiles/tiles-core

*Sitemesh 2:*
Last updated 2009 -- http://mvnrepository.com/artifact/opensymphony/sitemesh

*Sitemesh 3: *(stalled - https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/WW-4356)
last updated  2015 - http://mvnrepository.com/artifact/org.sitemesh/sitemesh

thanks,

adam

Adam Brin
Director of Technology, Digital Antiquity
480.965.1278

Re: tiles, sitemesh, velocity and other template engines

Posted by Adam Brin <ab...@digitalantiquity.org>.
Hi Christoph & Łukasz,
  Thanks.  This is useful.  We’ll stay with Sitemesh2 and Freemarker for now.

thanks,

adam

Posted by Christoph Nenning <Ch...@lex-com.net>.

Posted by Lukasz Lenart <lu...@apache.org>.
> Hi All,
>   I've been reviewing our templating implementation (currently sitemesh2)
> and noticed that it seems  like the three main template engines that
> Struts2 supports are all effectively unsupported, and implementation of
> sitemesh 3 (which has been barely updated since it was released seems
> stalled). What templating engines are others using, and are there
> alternatives that are better supported?  I wonder / worry about security
> issues among other things.
>
> *Velocity:*
> last updated 2010 --
> http://mvnrepository.com/artifact/org.apache.velocity/velocity/1.7

I would start thinking about migration to FreeMarker or at least
creating new pages with it

> *Tiles:*
> last updated 2014 --
> http://mvnrepository.com/artifact/org.apache.tiles/tiles-core

There is nothing to worry about, Tiles are very stable and mature, I
would use it as well in any other Java project

> *Sitemesh 2:*
> Last updated 2009 -- http://mvnrepository.com/artifact/opensymphony/sitemesh
>
> *Sitemesh 3: *(stalled - https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/WW-4356)
> last updated  2015 - http://mvnrepository.com/artifact/org.sitemesh/sitemesh

I'm still planning to prepare a new plugin with support for Sitemesh
3. When I was working on upgrading to Tiles 3 I also had got limited
support from maintainers but this isn't a problem IMHO :)

Regards
--
Łukasz
+ 48 606 323 122 http://www.lenart.org.pl/