Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by Shushant Arora <sh...@gmail.com> on 2016/05/31 14:29:57 UTC

hbase uniformsplit for non hex keys

1.Can I use Uniform split for non hex keys?
2.if yes, how to specify key range for split.
3.If no then whats the diff between HexSplit and Uniform Split.

Thanks!

Re: hbase uniformsplit for non hex keys

Posted by Jean-Marc Spaggiari <je...@spaggiari.org>.
Hi Shushant,

There is currently only 2 possible values for it. UniformSplit and
HexStringSplit . UniformSplit will evenly split the regions using binary
keys. Therefore, values might vary from
0x00 to 0xFF. On the other side, HexStringSplit will create regions using
hexadecimal strings values only. Those keys will be more readable and will
vary from “0” to “F”. Creating 3 regions using HexStringSplit will give you
“55555555” and “aaaaaaaa” as region’s boundaries. Indeed, it will split
based on the string representation of “0” and of “F”. Creating 3 regions
using UniformSplit will give you “UUUUUUUU” and
“\xAA\xAA\xAA\xAA\xAA\xAA\xAA\xAA” as region boundaries. Which make sense
since U code is 85 and \xAA represents 170. 85 represents a third of 255
and 170 represents 2 thirds.

HTH,

JMS