Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com> on 2013/03/28 19:27:11 UTC

establish PreCommit build(s) on EC2 Jenkins

Hi,
I mentioned this initiative in the thread Andrew started.
As of my latest check, Apache Jenkins is still down. It has been off most
of time this week.
So we need to find an alternative.

Besides, we need EC2 where hostnames regularly contain hyphens. On the
Apache Jenkins, it wouldn't be easy to test the fix for the following JIRA:
HBASE-8207 Replication could have data loss when machine name contains
hyphen "-"

Please comment.

Thanks

Re: establish PreCommit build(s) on EC2 Jenkins

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
This discussion may be premature. We hope the issues with the Apache
Jenkins VM farm can be successfully resolved soon. My management is happy
to support this for as long as the Apache Jenkins farm is having issues.
Beyond that, let's have a discussion then. Whatever is the long term
disposition of these systems is up to HBase, really. They are eminently
portable. We could easily make a new AMI of Jenkins at whatever is its
current state (it's an EBS based instance) and hand it off. Likewise, the
PV slave AMI bits and manifest can be transferred to another S3 bucket and
registered to any other account.

> > A vote to formally adopt Andrew's new deployment?
>  A vote may be needed in the future.

I don't understand, but no matter because it doesn't sound like you want to
do this now.

> We can create a PreCommit build which accepts JIRA number as input.
Before QA run is tied up to JIRA system, one of the admins has to trigger
QA build for that JIRA number.

Jenkins has a RESTful API and I've also installed the JIRA plugin on this
instance. Some sort of two way integration would not be much of a challenge
set up. The big detail would be what IP address(es) to whitelist for
Jenkins API access.

--
Best regards,

   - Andy

(via Tom White)

Re: establish PreCommit build(s) on EC2 Jenkins

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nick Dimiduk <nd...@gmail.com>.
Ted,