Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by "Mazza, Glen R, PERSCOM" <Gl...@hoffman.army.mil> on 2002/09/16 22:20:35 UTC

Simplifying border creation in tables

Hello,

To create a table in which every cell has, say, a 0.5 mm black solid border
around each edge, do I really need to specify this over and over again for
each <table-cell> element (this would mean 12 attributes per table-cell: 3
attributes for each edge.)  Is there a shortcut to specify, table-level,
that the edges of all cells are to have these properties?  (If I place these
attributes in the <table> tag it appears to just give this border for the
outer edges of the table itself, and not each interior cell.)

Thanks,
Glen

Re: Simplifying border creation in tables

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.
Mazza, Glen R, PERSCOM wrote:
> To create a table in which every cell has, say, a 0.5 mm black solid border
> around each edge, do I really need to specify this over and over again for
> each <table-cell> element (this would mean 12 attributes per table-cell: 3
> attributes for each edge.)  Is there a shortcut to specify, table-level,
> that the edges of all cells are to have these properties?  (If I place these
> attributes in the <table> tag it appears to just give this border for the
> outer edges of the table itself, and not each interior cell.)

The shorthands border-width, border-style etc. should work.

J.Pietschmann

Re: Simplifying border creation in tables

Posted by "netstyle.ch - Ch. Wysseier" <ch...@netstyle.ch>.
Hi

This is a normal behavior because like that you have all possibilities
to create borders
1) around a whole table (place border in <table>)
2) for one or more column (place border in <table-column>)
3) for one or more row (place border in <table-row>)
4) for one or more cell (place border in <table-cell>)

I've got also a file where we needed to place at each cell the border
attributes which made the file really big but there is no shortcut for
this.

More information about borders you can find at the examples in the docs
directory of the FOP distribution.

Regards

Chris Wysseier
netstyle.ch GmbH

* netstyle.ch GmbH, Dählhölzliweg 18, CH-3005 Bern
* Phone: +41 31 356 42 56 Fax: +41 31 356 42 57
* http://www.netstyle.ch  mailto:info@netstyle.ch