Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Andreas Heinecke <an...@objectinc.de> on 2008/08/21 10:04:06 UTC

Release fails during SVN commit

Hi there,

I encountered a strange problem. Since a few weeks I'm not able to perform a
release with Maven. The release process fails during executing the
release:prepare goal at the same position, always. The point at which the
release fails is when Maven tries to commit the release POM's to SVN. This
commit fails with the error message that the file which is about to be
committed already exists at the position in SVN. But it isn't there.
Strange, uh?

I actually checked the tagbase configuration of the plugin and tried to
alter it, but the effect remains.
I don't know what I can try to fix this issue.
The last thing altered at the configuration is a switch of the SVN server.
We had to switch to a newer SVN version 1.5.0. We also switched to the new
1.5.0 SVN client as we know that there are problems with newer server
software and older client software.

Please find parts of my pom.xml configuration attached below.

Any pointers are welcome.

Regards,
Andreas.

My SCM configuration:
<scm>
    <connection>scm:svn:http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/svndir/project</connection>

<developerConnection>scm:svn:http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/svndir/project</develope
rConnection>
    <url>http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/svndir/project</url>
</scm>

My release plugin configuration:
<plugin>
    <artifactId>maven-release-plugin</artifactId>
    <configuration>
        <tagBase>http://XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX/svndir/project/tags</tagBase>
        <autoVersionSubmodules>true</autoVersionSubmodules>
        <preparationGoals>clean install</preparationGoals>
    </configuration>
</plugin>

Re: Release fails during SVN commit

Posted by Arnaud HERITIER <ah...@gmail.com>.
I have the same issue on Leopard with svn 1.5
As a workaround I have to checkout the trunk of the project just before to
do the release and it works.

Arnaud

On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 5:07 PM, Beyer,Nathan <NB...@cerner.com> wrote:

> Does your POM have any SVN keyword substitutions in it? For example "$Id$"
> or "$Revision$"? I have had issues with releases that at the root was a file
> locking problem that I was able to alleviate by removing the keywords
> substitutions.
>
> -Nathan

Arnaud HERITIER
OCTO Technology - aheritier AT octo DOT com
www.octo.com | blog.octo.com
ASF - aheritier AT apache DOT org
www.apache.org | maven.apache.org

AW: Release fails during SVN commit

Posted by Andreas Heinecke <an...@objectinc.de>.
Hi Nathan,

no there are no keyword substitutions. It seems to be a SVN bug, or changed
behaviour maybe.

-Andreas.

Posted by "Beyer,Nathan" <NB...@CERNER.COM>.

Posted by "Sommers, Elizabeth" <So...@Pragmatics.com>.
Some of my users are having the same problem.  I think it has to do with
the svn 1.5 client.

Liz Sommers
sommerse@pragmatics.com

Re: Maven and Eclipse Project

Posted by Eugene Kuleshov <eu...@md.pp.ru>.

Michael McCallum-3 wrote:

>> maybe you want to look into this:  http://code.google.com/p/mvnlink/
>> it sounds like it does what you're looking for.
> use the m2eclipse.codehaus.org plugin and then run mvn eclipse:m2eclipse

If you are using m2eclipse, I wouldn't recommend using eclipse:m2eclipse.
Instead use one of the project import wizards provided by m2eclipse. They
allow to import multiple projects from local system, checkout from SCM or
import by Maven coordinates. See http://tinyurl.com/5qzyzx

  This way project interdependencies and configuration for other Eclipse
tools, such as AJDT or WTP will be done automatically. See for example WTP
howto. http://tinyurl.com/5zoawl

Michael McCallum-3 wrote:

> far better solution... there is one caveat make sure that maven and
> eclipse
> have different output folders... eclipse generates class are not meant to
> be
> packaged up...

  Because of several issues with option for using separate output folders
between Eclipse and Maven CLI, we had to remove it in m2eclipse 0.9.5. If
you are not jumping back and forth between Eclipse and command line it works
much better for the IDE and the only caveat is that you need to not forget
to perform Refresh and Project / Clean after you done something with the
project outside IDE.
  We are still looking at better solution for this issue. In a mean time, if
you prefer to use separate output folders, you can do that with a custom
profile. See more details at
http://tinyurl.com/373bkh#ProjectFAQ-outputFolders

  regards,
  Eugene

Re: Maven and Eclipse Project

Posted by Michael McCallum <gh...@apache.org>.

--
Michael McCallum
Enterprise Engineer

RE: Maven and Eclipse Project

Posted by Lam Hayward <Ha...@lac-bac.gc.ca>.
I installed the eclipse plugin from
http://mvnlink.googlecode.com/svn/mvnlink-update-site/ and restarted
eclipse. According to the project page, some top level menu should have
MvnLink, there is no none. Is there some configuration I am missing?

Posted by Andrew Close <ac...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Eugene Kuleshov <eu...@md.pp.ru>.

  Out of curiosity, why don't you give a try to m2eclipse?
http://m2eclipse.codehaus.org/

  among lot of other things, it would automatically handle project import
for you and will configure imported projects for other Eclipse tools.

  regards,
  Eugene

Posted by Lam Hayward <Ha...@lac-bac.gc.ca>.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Arnaud HERITIER <ah...@gmail.com>.

Maven and Eclipse Project

RE: AW: Release fails during SVN commit

Posted by Andreas Heinecke <an...@objectinc.de>.
Well, I used Vista SP1, JSK 1.6.0_10, Maven 2.0.9 and SlikSVN 1.5.1 (I also tried CollabNet SVN 1.5.1) and a 1.5.0 SVN server. Nothing worked until I used a 1.4.6 client.

Posted by "Beyer,Nathan" <NB...@CERNER.COM>.
I use Windows Vista SP1, Sun JDK 5u16, Maven 2.0.9 and SVN 1.5.1 (built by SlikSVN [1]) and an SVN HTTP-based Server at 1.5.1, and have performed two releases recently with no issues.

[1] http://www.sliksvn.com/en/download/

If it's happening directly from the command-line as Daniel indicated (I
haven't tried it myself, but as far as I know Maven uses the command-line,
not JavaHL), then it can't be a JavaHL issue.

-Stephen

On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 10:38 AM, Emmanuel Venisse <
emmanuel.venisse@gmail.com> wrote:

> The issue is discussed on the subversion users list :
>
> http://www.nabble.com/Mac-OS-X-%2B-SVN-1.5.1-%3D-Branch-problem-td19017538.html
>
> It is related to a change in JavaHL:
> * correctly set the peg revision for copy in JavaHL (r31994)
>
> Emmanuel
>
> On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 4:15 PM, Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> > On Thursday 21 August 2008 10:09:07 am Stephen Duncan Jr wrote:
> > > On the other hand, the fact that I forgot to run svn up before running
> > the
> > > release plugin has bitten me before, and I had to make a second release
> > > because I didn't realize it.  Ideally it'd warn you about remote
> changes
> > > the same way it does about local uncommitted changes.  But that still
> > > leaves the possibility of a commit sneaking in like you mentioned.
> > >
> > > So is there an existing bug for Svn 1.5 not being able to tag from a
> > > working copy, or does it need to be filed?
> >
> > Probably needs to be filed.
> >
> > Dan
> >

> > > -Stephen

> > is
> tag.

> http://vblah.com/repo/tag/foo.1.2.3
> was

> the
> of

> this

Stephen Duncan Jr
www.stephenduncanjr.com

AW: AW: Release fails during SVN commit

If it's happening directly from the command-line as Daniel indicated (I
haven't tried it myself, but as far as I know Maven uses the command-line,
not JavaHL), then it can't be a JavaHL issue.

-Stephen

On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 10:38 AM, Emmanuel Venisse <
emmanuel.venisse@gmail.com> wrote:

> The issue is discussed on the subversion users list :
>
> http://www.nabble.com/Mac-OS-X-%2B-SVN-1.5.1-%3D-Branch-problem-td19017538.html
>
> It is related to a change in JavaHL:
> * correctly set the peg revision for copy in JavaHL (r31994)
>
> Emmanuel
>
> On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 4:15 PM, Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> > On Thursday 21 August 2008 10:09:07 am Stephen Duncan Jr wrote:
> > > On the other hand, the fact that I forgot to run svn up before running
> > the
> > > release plugin has bitten me before, and I had to make a second release
> > > because I didn't realize it.  Ideally it'd warn you about remote
> changes
> > > the same way it does about local uncommitted changes.  But that still
> > > leaves the possibility of a commit sneaking in like you mentioned.
> > >
> > > So is there an existing bug for Svn 1.5 not being able to tag from a
> > > working copy, or does it need to be filed?
> >
> > Probably needs to be filed.
> >
> > Dan
> >

> > > -Stephen

> > is
> tag.

> http://vblah.com/repo/tag/foo.1.2.3
> was

> the
> of

> this

Stephen Duncan Jr
www.stephenduncanjr.com

Re: AW: Release fails during SVN commit

Posted by Emmanuel Venisse <em...@gmail.com>.
Yes, maven-scm use the command line.
I extracted the JavaHL comment from the thread on the svn users list, and I
don't know if some other part was impacted with this change

Emmanuel

On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 4:45 PM, Stephen Duncan Jr <stephen.duncan@gmail.com

Posted by Stephen Duncan Jr <st...@gmail.com>.
If it's happening directly from the command-line as Daniel indicated (I
haven't tried it myself, but as far as I know Maven uses the command-line,
not JavaHL), then it can't be a JavaHL issue.

-Stephen

On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 10:38 AM, Emmanuel Venisse <
emmanuel.venisse@gmail.com> wrote:

> The issue is discussed on the subversion users list :
>
> http://www.nabble.com/Mac-OS-X-%2B-SVN-1.5.1-%3D-Branch-problem-td19017538.html
>
> It is related to a change in JavaHL:
> * correctly set the peg revision for copy in JavaHL (r31994)
>
> Emmanuel
>
> On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 4:15 PM, Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> > On Thursday 21 August 2008 10:09:07 am Stephen Duncan Jr wrote:
> > > On the other hand, the fact that I forgot to run svn up before running
> > the
> > > release plugin has bitten me before, and I had to make a second release
> > > because I didn't realize it.  Ideally it'd warn you about remote
> changes
> > > the same way it does about local uncommitted changes.  But that still
> > > leaves the possibility of a commit sneaking in like you mentioned.
> > >
> > > So is there an existing bug for Svn 1.5 not being able to tag from a
> > > working copy, or does it need to be filed?
> >
> > Probably needs to be filed.
> >
> > Dan
> >

> > > -Stephen

> > is
> tag.

> http://vblah.com/repo/tag/foo.1.2.3
> was

> the
> of

> this

Stephen Duncan Jr
www.stephenduncanjr.com

Re: AW: Release fails during SVN commit

Posted by Emmanuel Venisse <em...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
On Thursday 21 August 2008 10:09:07 am Stephen Duncan Jr wrote:
> On the other hand, the fact that I forgot to run svn up before running the
> release plugin has bitten me before, and I had to make a second release
> because I didn't realize it.  Ideally it'd warn you about remote changes
> the same way it does about local uncommitted changes.  But that still
> leaves the possibility of a commit sneaking in like you mentioned.
>
> So is there an existing bug for Svn 1.5 not being able to tag from a
> working copy, or does it need to be filed?

Probably needs to be filed.

Dan

> -Stephen
>
> On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 10:03 AM, Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org> wrote:
> > I had the same problem with 1.5.1 on Gentoo.    It's a subversion
> > problem, not
> > a release plugin problem.    If you run the same command that release is
> > trying to run (can be seen when you run mvn with -X), it fails.
> > Basically,
> > with 1.5, you apparently cannot "svn cp" your working copy into a tag.
> > Something like:
> > svn cp . http://vblah.com/repo/tag/foo.1.2.3
> > which is what release is trying to do.
> >
> > I ended up manually doing:
> > svn cp http://vblah.com/repo/trunk http://vblah.com/repo/tag/foo.1.2.3
> > and editing the release.properties thing to mark that the tag phase was
> > done
> > and then resumed it.   Kind of sucked.
> >
> > The release plugin COULD tag/branch via the trunk.   However, it
> > explicitly does NOT do it that way so if a commit sneaks in between the
> > commit of the poms and the tag command, that commit wouldn't be part of
> > the tag.
> >
> > Dan
> >
> > On Thursday 21 August 2008 9:27:13 am Andreas Heinecke wrote:
> > > Hi Stephen,
> > >
> > > thank you for your answer.
> > > Can anyone else confirm this? So one (probably me) should report this
> >
> > issue
> >
> > > at the issue tracker.
> > >
> > > Andreas.

Daniel Kulp
dkulp@apache.org
http://www.dankulp.com/blog

Re: AW: Release fails during SVN commit

Posted by Stephen Duncan Jr <st...@gmail.com>.
On the other hand, the fact that I forgot to run svn up before running the
release plugin has bitten me before, and I had to make a second release
because I didn't realize it.  Ideally it'd warn you about remote changes the
same way it does about local uncommitted changes.  But that still leaves the
possibility of a commit sneaking in like you mentioned.

So is there an existing bug for Svn 1.5 not being able to tag from a working
copy, or does it need to be filed?

-Stephen

On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 10:03 AM, Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org> wrote:

> I had the same problem with 1.5.1 on Gentoo.    It's a subversion problem,
> not
> a release plugin problem.    If you run the same command that release is
> trying to run (can be seen when you run mvn with -X), it fails.
> Basically,
> with 1.5, you apparently cannot "svn cp" your working copy into a tag.
> Something like:
> svn cp . http://vblah.com/repo/tag/foo.1.2.3
> which is what release is trying to do.
>
> I ended up manually doing:
> svn cp http://vblah.com/repo/trunk http://vblah.com/repo/tag/foo.1.2.3
> and editing the release.properties thing to mark that the tag phase was
> done
> and then resumed it.   Kind of sucked.
>
> The release plugin COULD tag/branch via the trunk.   However, it explicitly
> does NOT do it that way so if a commit sneaks in between the commit of the
> poms and the tag command, that commit wouldn't be part of the tag.
>
> Dan
>

> On Thursday 21 August 2008 9:27:13 am Andreas Heinecke wrote:
> > Hi Stephen,
> >
> > thank you for your answer.
> > Can anyone else confirm this? So one (probably me) should report this
> issue
> > at the issue tracker.
> >
> > Andreas.

Stephen Duncan Jr
www.stephenduncanjr.com

Re: AW: Release fails during SVN commit

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.

<an...@objectinc.de>wrote:
> > No, we use MS Windows Vista, and XP. The problem occurs on each of these
> > platforms.

Daniel Kulp
dkulp@apache.org
http://www.dankulp.com/blog

AW: Release fails during SVN commit

Posted by Andreas Heinecke <an...@objectinc.de>.
Hi Stephen,

thank you for your answer.
Can anyone else confirm this? So one (probably me) should report this issue at the issue tracker.

Andreas.

I've had the problem as well on Ubuntu Linux, so it's a general problem with
SVN 1.5.

-Stephen

On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 5:37 AM, Andreas Heinecke <an...@objectinc.de>wrote:

> No, we use MS Windows Vista, and XP. The problem occurs on each of these
> platforms.

Stephen Duncan Jr
www.stephenduncanjr.com

Re: Release fails during SVN commit

Posted by Stephen Duncan Jr <st...@gmail.com>.
I've had the problem as well on Ubuntu Linux, so it's a general problem with
SVN 1.5.

-Stephen

On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 5:37 AM, Andreas Heinecke <an...@objectinc.de>wrote:

> No, we use MS Windows Vista, and XP. The problem occurs on each of these
> platforms.

Stephen Duncan Jr
www.stephenduncanjr.com

AW: Release fails during SVN commit

Posted by Andreas Heinecke <an...@objectinc.de>.
No, we use MS Windows Vista, and XP. The problem occurs on each of these
platforms.

On 21/08/2008, at 6:04 PM, Andreas Heinecke wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I encountered a strange problem. Since a few weeks I'm not able to
> perform a
> release with Maven. The release process fails during executing the
> release:prepare goal at the same position, always. The point at
> which the
> release fails is when Maven tries to commit the release POM's to
> SVN. This
> commit fails with the error message that the file which is about to be
> committed already exists at the position in SVN. But it isn't there.
> Strange, uh?
>
> I actually checked the tagbase configuration of the plugin and tried
> alter it, but the effect remains.
> I don't know what I can try to fix this issue.
> The last thing altered at the configuration is a switch of the SVN
> server.
> We had to switch to a newer SVN version 1.5.0. We also switched to
> the new
> 1.5.0 SVN client as we know that there are problems with newer server
> software and older client software.
>
> Please find parts of my pom.xml configuration attached below.
>
> Any pointers are welcome.
>
> Regards,
> Andreas.
>
> My SCM configuration:
> <scm>
>    <connection>scm:svn:http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/svndir/project</
> connection>
>
> <developerConnection>scm:svn:http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/svndir/project</
> develope
> rConnection>
>    <url>http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/svndir/project</url>
> </scm>
>
> My release plugin configuration:
> <plugin>
>    <groupId>org.apache.maven.plugins</groupId>
>    <artifactId>maven-release-plugin</artifactId>
>    <configuration>
>        <tagBase>http://XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX/svndir/project/tags</tagBase>
>        <autoVersionSubmodules>true</autoVersionSubmodules>
>        <preparationGoals>clean install</preparationGoals>
>    </configuration>
> </plugin>

LD.

Re: Release fails during SVN commit

Posted by Luke Daley <ld...@ldaley.com>.
If your on Mac OS 10.5, check out

http://blogs.exist.com/bporter/2008/02/25/working-around-non-interactive-problems-in-leopards-subversion/

On 21/08/2008, at 6:04 PM, Andreas Heinecke wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I encountered a strange problem. Since a few weeks I'm not able to
> perform a
> release with Maven. The release process fails during executing the
> release:prepare goal at the same position, always. The point at
> which the
> release fails is when Maven tries to commit the release POM's to
> SVN. This
> commit fails with the error message that the file which is about to be
> committed already exists at the position in SVN. But it isn't there.
> Strange, uh?
>
> I actually checked the tagbase configuration of the plugin and tried
> alter it, but the effect remains.
> I don't know what I can try to fix this issue.
> The last thing altered at the configuration is a switch of the SVN
> server.
> We had to switch to a newer SVN version 1.5.0. We also switched to
> the new
> 1.5.0 SVN client as we know that there are problems with newer server
> software and older client software.
>
> Please find parts of my pom.xml configuration attached below.
>
> Any pointers are welcome.
>
> Regards,
> Andreas.
>
> My SCM configuration:
> <scm>
>    <connection>scm:svn:http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/svndir/project</
> connection>
>
> <developerConnection>scm:svn:http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/svndir/project</
> develope
> rConnection>
>    <url>http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/svndir/project</url>
> </scm>
>
> My release plugin configuration:
> <plugin>
>    <groupId>org.apache.maven.plugins</groupId>
>    <artifactId>maven-release-plugin</artifactId>
>    <configuration>
>        <tagBase>http://XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX/svndir/project/tags</tagBase>
>        <autoVersionSubmodules>true</autoVersionSubmodules>
>        <preparationGoals>clean install</preparationGoals>
>    </configuration>
> </plugin>

LD.

Re: AW: Release fails during SVN commit

Posted by mzgubin <mz...@gmail.com>.
I've discovered one solution that worked for me.
I don't know if I have a different problem than was mentioned here, but it
was the same error.
I did have the same issues mentioned in this thread and tried all sorts of
subversion client's.

Try fixing the scm configuration first to point to the correct location in
your svn.
I kept getting this error until i've resolved that first.
Also, this assumes that you have a typical SVN structure: with trunk,
branches and tags in the same folder.  If you don't have a typical layout,
then maven-release-plugin's configuration will have to be modified and a
tagBase specified.

Example:

<scm>

<connection>scm:svn:svn+ssh://username@svn.repository.com/local/project/svn/devrepo/project/trunk</connection>

<developerConnection>scm:svn:svn+ssh://username@svn.repository.com/local/project/svn/devrepo/project/trunk</developerConnection>
    <url>http://svn.repository.com</url>
  </scm>

  <build>
    <plugins>
      <plugin>
        <artifactId>maven-release-plugin</artifactId>
      </plugin>
    </plugins>
  </build>

BTW, currently i'm running the latest subversion client (1.5.2)

Posted by Arnaud HERITIER <ah...@gmail.com>.
Same error for me with SVN 1.5.1 on windows.
It's not a MAC only issue
Coming back to 1.4.6 solves the issue

Arnaud

Posted by David Roussel <na...@diroussel.xsmail.com>.