Posted to dev@cordova.apache.org by David Kemp <dr...@chromium.org> on 2013/10/01 17:14:43 UTC

Mobilespec / CI / version problems

to test 3.0.x

Detail:
The process to test 3.0.x is to get platforms, mobile-spec, etc from 3.0.x
and plugins from master. With the change on plugin names (remove core) the
3.0.x mobile-spec still refers to the names with core , but the master
branch of the plugins no longer have that name.

Possible resolutions:
1) never mind - mobilespec for 3.0.x is broken, it will be fixed in 3.1.x
2) cherrypick the change to mobilespec dependencies back to 3.0.x
3) find some other way to get the older plugins available to test.

Thoughts?

David Kemp

Re: Mobilespec / CI / version problems

Posted by Michal Mocny <mm...@chromium.org>.
On Thu, Oct 3, 2013 at 8:47 AM, David Kemp <dr...@google.com> wrote:

> <bump>
>
> With the release, its been a bit busy, but this issue needs some love.
>
> Note that someone else has commented on the same problem from a different
> angle (not mobilespec)
>         [Commented] (CB-4889)  ~ 3am this morning
>
> The renaming of plugins created a hole and there are a couple possible
> resolutions.
>
> to help out in a general way (not mobilespec)
> 1) smack a tag into the git repos for 3.0.x just in front of the name
> change. I think you can still do that?
> 2) publish plugins under the old name. might work if you use new tools with
> a 3.0 project
> 3) document the bug and tell people using 3.0 to switch to 3.1 or update
> the plugin name references in their project

I think we (3) document the change, but it shouldn't mean you cannot use
3.0.  You should be able to use 3.0 with the new plugin names, unless they
actually have non 3.0 compatible changes (which I think is not the case
except for Echo plugin which no one but mobilespec should be using).

> to fix mobilespec:
> 1) #1 above works
> 2) re-release mobilespec for 3.0.x

(2) is my preference.  I don't think future versions of mobile-spec should
necessarily work well with older platforms.  The mobile-spec tied to the
platform cad-version should be run instead.  This is still useful to test
the ever-changing plugins to make sure they are compatible, and right not
they are not since we introduced a backward-incompatible change to the ID.
 If we do with (3) above, then I think we need to update mobile-spec to use
the new ID much like we will advise users to do.

Posted by Andrew Grieve <ag...@chromium.org>.
I'm fine with any of the options.

Posted by David Kemp <dr...@google.com>.
<bump>

Posted by David Kemp <dr...@google.com>.
Just for clarification...

Posted by David Kemp <dr...@google.com>.
I am running regression tests on 3.0.x as well as tests on the tip of tree.
I have not yet switched to running regression on 3.1.x since it isn't
actually released yet.

The problem is that suddenly the 3.0.x tests fail. This is mostly because
the plugins are not tied to a release, but mobilespec is.

Ideally, I would expect that I should be able to go back and check out the
'right' versions and retest any release. That is not true currently since
there is no 'right' versions to get.

Posted by David Kemp <dr...@google.com>.
In answer to Andrews response, there was a problem with 3.0.x where the
echo plugin was mostly removed, but the two source files CDVEcho.m,
CDVEcho.h were left in iOS core. When you build 3.0.x with the master
version (or 3.1.x) of Mobilespec and it includes the new Echo plugin, you
get duplicate symbols.

We could fix that by back-patching 3.0.x to remove the two source files
(should have no effect), then the current master Mobilespec would build
with 3.0.x

Posted by Joe Bowser <bo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David Kemp <dr...@google.com>.

Posted by Andrew Grieve <ag...@chromium.org>.

Posted by David Kemp <dr...@google.com>.

Posted by Marcel Kinard <cm...@gmail.com>.
In the past I've used #3. When checking out code to test, I try to get all the assets from the same branch / time period. But I may be skewed in that approach, since our product that embeds Cordova has a snapshot of the platforms and plugins, and doesn't get updates from the online repos.

Does what you are saying infer that the rename of the plugins is a breaking change? And needs to have some verbage in the Upgrading guides?