Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Hamma <ha...@planetside-universe.net> on 2003/12/08 20:07:28 UTC

[users@httpd] Optimizing Guide

Does anyone know a good optimizing guide for Apache? My site is becoming fairly high traffic and at times images load very slowly, among other things.

Re: [users@httpd] Optimizing Guide

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
[Please keep it on the list.]

On Mon, 8 Dec 2003, Patrick O'Neal wrote:

> I thought that, so what is the solution. I figured there must be a
> better way.
>

> On Mon, 2003-12-08 at 18:57, Joshua Slive wrote:
> > On Mon, 8 Dec 2003, Patrick O'Neal wrote:
> > >
> > > <Location /server-status>
> > >     SetHandler server-status
> > >     Order deny,allow
> > >     Deny from all < this is the line that I commented out and then it
> > > began to work.
> > >     Allow from .mydomain.info
> > > </Location>
> >
> > By commenting out that line, you are allowing everyone in the world to see
> > your /server-status.

Most likely you have a DNS issue.  When you do a DNS lookup on your IP
address do you get something in .mydomain.info?  It is usually easier to
use an IP address in the Allow line to make things cleaner.

Joshua.

Re: [users@httpd] Optimizing Guide

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.

Posted by Hamma <ha...@planetside-universe.net>.
Yea thats what it was, its also what was causing apache to slow down it
seems. I'll have to digup some logrotating scripts heh

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.

Posted by Hamma <ha...@planetside-universe.net>.
Ok.. I found something odd that could be a culprit:

[Mon Dec  8 18:59:49 2003] [notice] child pid 1979 exit signal File size
limit exceeded (25)
[Mon Dec  8 18:59:50 2003] [notice] child pid 1980 exit signal File size
limit exceeded (25)
[Mon Dec  8 18:59:54 2003] [notice] child pid 1983 exit signal File size
limit exceeded (25)
[Mon Dec  8 18:59:54 2003] [notice] child pid 1982 exit signal File size
limit exceeded (25)
[Mon Dec  8 18:59:56 2003] [notice] child pid 1985 exit signal File size
limit exceeded (25)
[Mon Dec  8 18:59:58 2003] [notice] child pid 1995 exit signal File size
limit exceeded (25)
[Mon Dec  8 18:59:58 2003] [notice] child pid 1987 exit signal File size
limit exceeded (25)

Posted by Patrick O'Neal <pa...@oneal.net>.

Posted by Hamma <ha...@planetside-universe.net>.

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.

Posted by Daniel Lopez <da...@rawbyte.com>.
> I did many of those things already with no big luck, small improvments but
> images still seem to take a bit to load.

Can you just serve static images and static content from a different,
dedicated server?
thats what slashdot does for example, having Apache 1.3 to generate the
pages and a separate machine for images (it used to be threaded Apache 2, it
seems it is Boa nowadays)

Cheers

Daniel

--
Teach Yourself Apache 2 -- http://apacheworld.org/ty24/

Re: [users@httpd] Optimizing Guide

Posted by Hamma <ha...@planetside-universe.net>.
I did many of those things already with no big luck, small improvments but
images still seem to take a bit to load.

How do I go about using mod_status ?

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.

Re: [users@httpd] Server-status analysis

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.

On Tue, 9 Dec 2003, Richard Correia wrote:
> 1> Total accesses: 6633895 => Does this means I have actual 6633895
> GET,POST request to my server in 4 days ?

Yep.

> 2> There are so many .[dots] In ASCII graphic at the end Open slot with
> no current process, I have set MaxClients to 256.
>  Why I am getting 8 idle server.

Apache always tries to keep the number of idle servers inbetween
MinSpareServers and MaxSpareServers.  Since 8 is between 5 and 20, this
seems fine.

> 3> If I am getting 50 hits per second, which are being processed in a
> second, what should be the MinSpareServers and MaxSpareServers ?
> Currently it is 5 and 20 resp.

The Min/MaxSpareServers directives are really not that important.  They
only come into play if the server needs to ramp-up or ramp-down quickly
(ie, if the load changes rapidly).  Even then, Apache adjusts quite
well regardless.  The numbers you have seem just fine.

(The only mistake I see often is people setting MinSpareServers very high.
This just has the effect of forcing lots of idle processes.)

> Any help will be highly appriceated. Furthermore any links to document
> which explains this Server process,childs,MinSpareServers and
> MaxSpareServers,Keepalive for bigger sites are most welcome .

http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/misc/perf-tuning.html
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/prefork.html

As I said, these things are not very important, really.  You just need to
make sure you have enough child processes available (MaxClients) to serve
the maximum simultaneous load you expect.  Turning down the
KeepAliveTimeout can help push clients off your server more quickly if
they tend to make only a few quick requests.

Joshua.

[users@httpd] Server-status analysis

Posted by Richard Correia <ri...@ugamsolutions.com>.
Hi,

Here is the server-status for my dear apache server. [I really love it]

I wanted to know what some of the field means in server-status.

1> Total accesses: 6633895 => Does this means I have actual 6633895
GET,POST request to my server in 4 days ?

2> There are so many .[dots] In ASCII graphic at the end Open slot with
no current process, I have set MaxClients to 256.
 Why I am getting 8 idle server.

3> If I am getting 50 hits per second, which are being processed in a
second, what should be the MinSpareServers and MaxSpareServers ?
Currently it is 5 and 20 resp.

Any help will be highly appriceated. Furthermore any links to document
which explains this Server process,childs,MinSpareServers and
MaxSpareServers,Keepalive for bigger sites are most welcome .

Sincerely,
Richard

Server uptime: 4 days 1 hour 23 minutes 14 seconds
Total accesses: 6633895 - Total Traffic: 2.3 GB

CPU Usage: u2926.43 s2553.78 cu3587.22 cs214.94 - 2.65% CPU load

18.9 requests/sec - 6.8 kB/second - 368 B/request

4 requests currently being processed, 8 idle servers

W___WW_____W....................................................

Re: [users@httpd] Optimizing Guide

Posted by Patrick O'Neal <pa...@oneal.net>.
The first place to start is in the conf directory of your apache
install, in it you find some sample conf files that give you some
information and then they will point you to another file
/manual/misc/perf-tuning.html
These should give you some help when it comes to fine tuning Apache.

Patrick O'Neal
Webmaster
www.awofm.info