Posted to dev@vcl.apache.org by Andy Kurth <an...@ncsu.edu> on 2015/08/07 21:39:18 UTC

[DISCUSS] Windows 10 support for VCL 2.4.3?

We intended 2.4.3 to be a minor bugfix-only release, but with the recent
release of Windows 10 I think it would be worthwhile to add support for it
in this release.  The subsequent 2.4.4/2.5 VCL release may not happen for a
while and people are going to want to start using it within VCL.

I have taken a quick look at Windows 10 and created a base image.  The
current Windows 8.x code should work well enough but I did notice some
minor problems.  I created a Jira issue yesterday where the problems
encountered are being detailed:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/VCL-893

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Andy

Re: [DISCUSS] Windows 10 support for VCL 2.4.3?

Posted by Aaron Peeler <fa...@ncsu.edu>.
After reviewing the code, this is a very small bug with low impact.
The timing has to be exactly right for it to cause an issue. Removing
from 2.5 release

On Mon, Aug 10, 2015 at 4:02 PM, Aaron Peeler <fa...@ncsu.edu> wrote:
> Need to test VCL-866 (Bug). If it is still an issue, it should be an
> easy fix before the release. If testing shows it is no longer an
> issue, I'll untag and remove it.
>
> The couple of  issues I added previously are now untagged.
>
> ....and on the original topic of this thread I also think going to 2.5
> with windows 10 support would be beneficial or the community.
>
> Aaron
>

> On Mon, Aug 10, 2015 at 3:42 PM, Josh Thompson <jo...@ncsu.edu> wrote:
>>
>> Since we have bugs fixed and would like to get those out, but with the
>> addition of a few features, I'd prefer to minimize what new features we work
>> to include in 2.5 to prevent feature creap.
>>
>> I untagged the following items related to the frontend because I haven't begun
>> work on them yet.  If I get them implemented before we try to get 2.5 out,
>> I'll tag them again.
>>
>> VCL-801 (Improvement) rework how frontend determines to prompt user for
>> image revision
>> VCL-728 (Improvement) Add description column to variable table
>>
>> I haven't done any work toward VCL-869.  I'd say to untag it as well, but
>> didn't do that yet since it affects thte backend too.
>>
>> I commented on VCL-870 and VCL-873 to remain tagged with 2.5.
>>
>> Josh
>>
>> On Monday, August 10, 2015 2:58:40 PM Andy Kurth wrote:
>>> I was about to change the "fix version" from  2.4.3 to 2.5 in Jira and
>>> noticed a bunch of issues already tagged for 2.5.  These need to be sorted
>>> out.
>>>
>>> We discussed how a roadmap would be decided and how issues would be tagged
>>> last September (http://vcl.markmail.org/thread/xulfqvyg3sgqbong).  My
>>> understanding is that there was agreement that issues other than bug fixes
>>> would not be tagged with a specific version without discussion.  It seems
>>> as though we need to revisit this discussion.  Another thread would be best
>>> as to not hijack this one.
>>>
>>> The issues tagged 2.4.2 have not been altered so the 2.5 issues can be
>>> sorted out with less confusion.  The following issues were tagged 2.5 and I
>>> am reasonably certain they have not been implemented.  I untagged them from
>>> 2.5:
>>>
>>> VCL-790 (Improvement) create section of web site for managing connect
>>> methods
>>> VCL-526 (Sub-task) add section to site to manage connect methods
>>> VCL-571 (New Feature) EC2 API provisioning module
>>> VCL-572 (New Feature) Automatically install updates when an image is loaded
>>> VCL-579 (New Feature) provision ESXi as an end-user environment
>>> VCL-718 (Improvement) Add optional automatic execution of sdelete.exe to
>>> reduce vmdk size
>>> VCL-680 (New Feature) Support for Apache CloudStack
>>> VCL-336 (New Feature) Add support for IPv6
>>> VCL-388 (New Feature) Windows lab machine provisioning
>>> VCL-416 (Improvement) Fix the default user profile when capturing an image
>>> VCL-465 (Improvement) Add support for computers with a single NIC
>>>
>>> The following issues tagged 2.5 need to be checked.  Leave a comment in the
>>> issue if you determine that it indeed should be tagged 2.5.  Otherwise,
>>> untag it and reply to this message indicated you did so.
>>>
>>> VCL-873 (Bug) web UI only accepts 1 ssh identity key under User Preferences
>>> VCL-870 (Bug) the foreign keys are not in sync between the vcl.sql and
>>> update-vcl.sql files
>>> VCL-869 (Improvement) remove computer.vmtypeid and add something to
>>> vmprofile
>>> VCL-866 (Bug) Makeproduction doesn't work correctly
>>> VCL-846 (Bug) Improve flow of handling nodes for deleted reservations
>>> assigned to new reservations
>>> VCL-801 (Improvement) rework how frontend determines to prompt user for
>>> image revision
>>> VCL-796 (Improvement) tomainteance reservations should not be allowed to be
>>> created at end of indefinite server reservations
>>> VCL-728 (Improvement) Add description column to variable table
>>> VCL-670 (Improvement) user provided data loaded at request time

Aaron Peeler
Program Manager
Virtual Computing Lab
NC State University

Re: [DISCUSS] Windows 10 support for VCL 2.4.3?

Posted by Aaron Peeler <fa...@ncsu.edu>.

Posted by Andy Kurth <an...@ncsu.edu>.
wrote:

> I haven't done any work toward VCL-869.  I'd say to untag it as well, but
> didn't do that yet since it affects thte backend too.

I cleaned up the last reference to vmtype from the backend code.  However,
this was only part of this issue.  I added a comment to this issue and
untagged it from 2.5.

Posted by Josh Thompson <jo...@ncsu.edu>.

my GPG/PGP key can be found at pgp.mit.edu

Re: [DISCUSS] Windows 10 support for VCL 2.4.3?

Posted by Andy Kurth <an...@ncsu.edu>.

Posted by Aaron Coburn <ac...@amherst.edu>.
+1 for calling it 2.5

Posted by Josh Thompson <jo...@ncsu.edu>.