Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Ulrich Mayring <ul...@denic.de> on 2000/02/11 16:37:04 UTC

Memory Leak resolved

sim@sbs.bangor.ac.uk wrote:

> It could well be JVM/version related. I used to have memory
> related problems in my GSP pages with the Linux 1.1.6 port.
> They've gone for good since I started using the IBM 1.1.8
> JDK.

I'm using the JDK1.1.8 for RedHat Linux 5.2 from Blackdown.org. Anyhow,
the problem seems resolved now, I got the newest developer version of
xalan (version 0_19_3D01) and that got rid of the memory problems. Maybe
they're put off into the far distant future, but for now I can use
cocoon :)

Ulrich

--
Ulrich Mayring
DENIC eG, software development

Re: Memory Leak resolved

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Mark Washeim wrote:

> on 11/2/2000 16.37, Ulrich Mayring at ulim@denic.de wrote:
>
> > sim@sbs.bangor.ac.uk wrote:
> >>
> >> It could well be JVM/version related. I used to have memory
> >> related problems in my GSP pages with the Linux 1.1.6 port.
> >> They've gone for good since I started using the IBM 1.1.8
> >> JDK.
> >
> > I'm using the JDK1.1.8 for RedHat Linux 5.2 from Blackdown.org. Anyhow,
> > the problem seems resolved now, I got the newest developer version of
> > xalan (version 0_19_3D01) and that got rid of the memory problems. Maybe
> > they're put off into the far distant future, but for now I can use
> > cocoon :)
> >
> > Ulrich
>
> Ok, I did as Ulrich has. Also resolved the memory leak.
>
> My installation.
>
> NetBSD 1.3.x and NetBSD 1.4.1
> Apache 1.3.9 & 1.3.4
> JDK 1.1.6
> Jserv 1.1b3
> Cocoon 1.6.1
> Xalan (version 0_19_3D01
> Xerces 1.0.1
>
> Is functional. I'm doing benchmarking (I'll do it on the NetBSD 1.4.1 box
> first). I'll post my results.
>
> First: apache bench, then Jmeter results.
>
> I'll try to provide comparisons with other servlets and plain html file
> retrieval.

Ok, a little explanation here: what you guys were experiencing is _NOT_
a memory leak but a result of known behavior.

The Cocoon cache works like this:

1) stores everything in memory
2) leaves "store.memory" bytes for normal operation.

Xalan 0.19.2 is pretty memory hungry, so, in big stylesheets, you end up
needing more than 200kb, expecially when doing multiple requests. Latest
Xalan is probably more memory tuned, this is why your problems went away
(but will turn right out)

A better value should be around 2Mb, 200K is only for simple,
out-of-the-box installations.

Anyway, I'm working on a final solution for this.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.

Re: Memory Leak resolved

Posted by Mark Washeim <es...@canuck.com>.
on 11/2/2000 16.37, Ulrich Mayring at ulim@denic.de wrote:

> sim@sbs.bangor.ac.uk wrote:
>>
>> It could well be JVM/version related. I used to have memory
>> related problems in my GSP pages with the Linux 1.1.6 port.
>> They've gone for good since I started using the IBM 1.1.8
>> JDK.
>
> I'm using the JDK1.1.8 for RedHat Linux 5.2 from Blackdown.org. Anyhow,
> the problem seems resolved now, I got the newest developer version of
> xalan (version 0_19_3D01) and that got rid of the memory problems. Maybe
> they're put off into the far distant future, but for now I can use
> cocoon :)
>
> Ulrich

Ok, I did as Ulrich has. Also resolved the memory leak.

My installation.

NetBSD 1.3.x and NetBSD 1.4.1
Apache 1.3.9 & 1.3.4
JDK 1.1.6
Jserv 1.1b3
Cocoon 1.6.1
Xalan (version 0_19_3D01
Xerces 1.0.1

Is functional. I'm doing benchmarking (I'll do it on the NetBSD 1.4.1 box
first). I'll post my results.

First: apache bench, then Jmeter results.

I'll try to provide comparisons with other servlets and plain html file
retrieval.

Thanks Ulrich!

--
Mark (Poetaster) Washeim

'In Xanadu did Kublai Khan
 A stately pleasure dome decree . . .'

Re: Memory Leak resolved

Posted by Mark Washeim <es...@canuck.com>.
on 11/2/2000 16.37, Ulrich Mayring at ulim@denic.de wrote:

> sim@sbs.bangor.ac.uk wrote:
>>
>> It could well be JVM/version related. I used to have memory
>> related problems in my GSP pages with the Linux 1.1.6 port.
>> They've gone for good since I started using the IBM 1.1.8
>> JDK.
>
> I'm using the JDK1.1.8 for RedHat Linux 5.2 from Blackdown.org. Anyhow,
> the problem seems resolved now, I got the newest developer version of
> xalan (version 0_19_3D01) and that got rid of the memory problems. Maybe
> they're put off into the far distant future, but for now I can use
> cocoon :)
>
> Ulrich

I'm glad for you. Sadly, I'm going to have to switch to another machine.
But, Dev release of Xalan and 1.1.8 (NetBSD) it is.

Thanks a lot.