Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Jason van Zyl <ja...@tesla.io> on 2012/09/04 21:55:27 UTC

Git as the canonical SCM

How's Git doing at Apache these days?

Anyone interested in pursuing putting Maven in Git as the canonical SCM?

Thanks,

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder & CTO, Sonatype
Founder,  Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl

To do two things at once is to do neither.

 -- Publilius Syrus, Roman slave, first century B.C.

Re: Git as the canonical SCM

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.
On 2012-09-04 22:10, Dennis Lundberg wrote:
> On 2012-09-04 21:55, Jason van Zyl wrote:
>> How's Git doing at Apache these days?
>
> A pilot was started some time ago, with a few volunteering projects. I
> have heard anything about its progress in a while. I'll ask over @infra
> and report back here.

It seems that it's not yet ready [1] for prime time.

[1] https://git-wip-us.apache.org/docs/switching-to-git.html

--
Dennis Lundberg

Re: Git as the canonical SCM

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.

Re: Git as the canonical SCM

Posted by Chris Graham <ch...@gmail.com>.
I have no desire to keep a copy of the entire repo locally.

>From what I can see, the current SVN is well managed and well understood. I
see little value in changing, other than to pander to the current fad in
scm.

-Chris

Re: Git as the canonical SCM

Posted by Kristian Rosenvold <kr...@gmail.com>.
And, as I commented in
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MAVEN/Scheme+for+managing+Maven+source+in+Git,
I think we're perfectly happy just to keep the current module
structure. There may be some opportunities related to changing it, but
I think most of us can agree on just keeping up the existing top-level
modules. (Some of the current asf git clones are not good, but that's
a different issue)

So at the end of the day, most of this discussion is really about if
we can be even smarter ;) And sorry for insulting cvs users out there,
I feel your pain.

Kristian

Re: Git as the canonical SCM

Posted by Kristian Rosenvold <kr...@gmail.com>.

Re: Git as the canonical SCM

Posted by Chris Graham <ch...@gmail.com>.
Has anyone stopped to ask any other projects (both apache and non-apache)
who have done what is being proposed here:

- How they found it?
- What did they do well?
- What did they do poorly?
- What pain points did they have?
- What would they do differently, if they had to do it again?
- What benefits did they receive?
- Did the expected benfits match the results?

(just to name a few questions off of the top of my head, I'm sure that
there are others).

Effectively, a PIR of a project that has already gone this route.

Re: Git as the canonical SCM

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.

Re: Git as the canonical SCM

Posted by Kristian Rosenvold <kr...@gmail.com>.

Re: Git as the canonical SCM

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
Im not a mvn community member but use if everyday and would like to share
my thought about this thread: "don't make sthg trivial hard"

Git is awesome for the purpose it was created.

In this thread there are several issues not all linked to the scm

Last note: i think the plugin you speak about (create a kind of virtual
project) will be a nightmare. Scm are nice but can be broken and when you
dont have a 1:1 with remote repo it is even harder

Just my thoughts...

Re: Git as the canonical SCM

Posted by Kristian Rosenvold <kr...@gmail.com>.

Re: Git as the canonical SCM

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de>.
Well, I consider myself a git black-belt user as well (I even wrote parts of the german man pages).

But the problems I explained mostly happens to users which do not have that much GIT foo.

It's just pretty easy to mess up a repo with git pull (especially when using --rebase or core.autorebase=true)
Anyway, my main concern is how to effectively slice up the repos without having tons of unnecessary repos lying around at the end of the day. Because that is exactly what happened to a few projects I know!

Let's just consider we will abandon some old plugin because we replaced it with a much better approach. In SVN you just create a branch for maintenance and delete the plugin from trunk. Nobody will see this obsolete plugin if he checks out the trunk. But in GIT you still have the repo around. And for knowing which ones are in use and which aren't anymore you would need to clone all of them.

There are 2 use cases when maintaining plugins:
1.) a plugin specific fix
2.) a cross-cutting fix which concerns many plugins (upgrade of technologies, introducing a new pattern, etc)

Especially for 2.) it would become _much_ harder to do this properly as you cannot easily make sure that you checked all plugins!

LieGrue,
strub

Posted by Kristian Rosenvold <kr...@gmail.com>.

Re: Git as the canonical SCM

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de>.

Re: Git as the canonical SCM

Posted by Stanislav Ochotnicky <so...@redhat.com>.

Re: Git as the canonical SCM

Posted by Arnaud Héritier <ah...@gmail.com>.
jenkins does it (1 plugin = 1 repo ) and I sincerely see no solution
to avoid that.
Each plugin or each lib has its own lifecycle and requires to have its
own git repo to be clean
That's why on jenkins we have the IRC bot to manage them
But it is easier on github because they provide many APIs to do such
remote management.
On ASF side I don't think we'll have soon such tooling :(
On the other hand the only annoying thing to do its the conversion
itself and then to update projects (SCM ...). After that we could ask
to sync them on github and we can easily provide some script to clone
all repos from a given organisation. Unlike Jenkins we don't have a
flow of repos creation really important on ASF side.

My 2 cents.

Arnaud

On Tue, Sep 4, 2012 at 10:23 PM, Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org> wrote:
> 2012/9/4 Andrew Waterman <aw...@ecosur.mx>:
>> The drools guys did a really nice move from Subversion a few years back.
>>
>> http://blog.athico.com/2010/12/drools-migrated-to-git.html
>>
>> One of the key things they did, was reorganize their poms and project structure.
>>
>> I'd be willing to help out. I think there could be a lot more to this move than just importing from subversion, but it depends on what you guys want to do.
>
> Yup I agree.
> I use git on other oss projects (Apache: cloudstack and non Apache:
> jenkins ...) and git svn for some asf projects.
> Due to lack of support of sparse checkout in git, I (perso) don't want
> we have to create a git repo per plugin etc...
> IMHO That will be a pain to manage.
>

>> best wishes,
>>
>> Andrew

-----
Arnaud Héritier
06-89-76-64-24
http://aheritier.net
Mail/GTalk: aheritier@gmail.com
Twitter/Skype : aheritier

Re: Git as the canonical SCM

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@tesla.io>.
+1

All reasonable, and we can certainly try it with a few repos people are interested.

On Sep 5, 2012, at 3:31 AM, Kristian Rosenvold wrote:

> [...]
> can easily review it at the point in history it was created;
> additionally there's a much-improved chance I can move this to the top
> of history without being stale)
>
> Basically I've been meaning to start av vote suggesting that we:
>
> 1) Decide to move *all* maven projects to git, time frame subject to
> project/asf/infra capacity. We're in no immense hurry.
> 2) Kick off the effort by moving 2-3 projects initially, 1-2 easy ones
> (just to get the general feel for how things work) and a hard one.
> Right now I'd suggest something like m3-core, surefire( or scm) and
> maven-plugins, the last being the hard one ;)
>
> I herby volunteer to do the donkey-work, including some massive
> filter-branch operations on the current asf maven-plugins git clone.
>
> I think we should split maven-plugins, because I think the solution
> chosen is optimized for the wrong uses cases, and it only helps for
> setting up CI jobs. The rest of the community basically has no value
> in the current set-up.
>
> Which makes me think we should consider such a switch an opportunity
> to re-think some of our tooling
> around multi-module projects. What the 99% others want  (who're not
> setting up a CI) is a checkout algorithm that builds the *vertical*
> stack for a given plugin, not the horizontal top-level stack for all
> the plugins (which is what we have currently). So if I checkout
> "maven-ear-plugin", I would basically want something like this:
> root-dir\
> maven-ear-plugin\
> maven-archiver\
> maven-filtering\
> plexus-archiver\
> plexus-utils
> .. maybe more.. (probably configurable somewhere)
>
> Now if the checkout would generate a synethetic parent pom with all
> these as modules, I could just load it all up in IDEA and be ready to
> go. I think something like this would have /real/ value to most of our
> users, whereas the current maven-plugins layout really only is
> valuable for whoever is configuring a CI to build maven-plugins.
>
> No matter what, I think there's very lfew practical use cases for
> having all the modules chunked together.
>
> Kristian
>

> 2012/9/4 Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>:
>> 2012/9/4 Andrew Waterman <aw...@ecosur.mx>:
>>> The drools guys did a really nice move from Subversion a few years back.
>>>
>>> http://blog.athico.com/2010/12/drools-migrated-to-git.html
>>>
>>> One of the key things they did, was reorganize their poms and project structure.
>>>
>>> I'd be willing to help out. I think there could be a lot more to this move than just importing from subversion, but it depends on what you guys want to do.
>>
>> Yup I agree.
>> I use git on other oss projects (Apache: cloudstack and non Apache:
>> jenkins ...) and git svn for some asf projects.
>> Due to lack of support of sparse checkout in git, I (perso) don't want
>> we have to create a git repo per plugin etc...

A man enjoys his work when he understands the whole and when he
is responsible for the quality of the whole

 -- Christopher Alexander, A Pattern Language

Re: Git as the canonical SCM

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.
2012/9/5 Kristian Rosenvold <kr...@gmail.com>:
> I think we should move to git; probably starting with a few
> repositories. I will not go into the argument as to why (it's been
> covered like a zillion times, link by Andrew covers a lot of it),
Yes we must avoid such buzz/troll to save our 'reading importants
emails' time :-) as we are sure git is a nice scm.
And this topic has been already enough discussed here it's time to
move forward on that !
I personally use only git (git svn for Apache).
And for sure using native git will save some of my cpu cycles and
network bandwidth :-) (git push or git fetch / rebase will be
certainly better than git svn dcommit or git svn rebase).

> other than to mention that the immense ease of moving around in
> history means that I never have to consider a patch "stale" since I
> can easily review it at the point in history it was created;
> additionally there's a much-improved chance I can move this to the top
> of history without being stale)
>
> Basically I've been meaning to start av vote suggesting that we:
>
> 1) Decide to move *all* maven projects to git, time frame subject to
> project/asf/infra capacity. We're in no immense hurry.
> 2) Kick off the effort by moving 2-3 projects initially, 1-2 easy ones
> (just to get the general feel for how things work) and a hard one.
> Right now I'd suggest something like m3-core, surefire( or scm) and
> maven-plugins, the last being the hard one ;)
ASF infra ask volunteers from TLP projects which want to use git to
help on infra tasks related to git admin.
Perso I can but as I won't have enough cycles I'd like to see an other
volunteer. Kristian ?
IMHO we must start with maven-3 to improve participation from others
as it looks to be the goal and that will do more marketing/buzz than
moving scm or wagon :-).

I can start the vote (maybe a vote with a majority of +1 from committers)

> I herby volunteer to do the donkey-work, including some massive
> filter-branch operations on the current asf maven-plugins git clone.
Cool !

> I think we should split maven-plugins, because I think the solution
> chosen is optimized for the wrong uses cases, and it only helps for
> setting up CI jobs. The rest of the community basically has no value
> in the current set-up.
Yup but that's more easy to maintain than a ton of jenkins jobs

> Which makes me think we should consider such a switch an opportunity
> to re-think some of our tooling
> around multi-module projects. What the 99% others want  (who're not
> setting up a CI) is a checkout algorithm that builds the *vertical*
> stack for a given plugin, not the horizontal top-level stack for all
> the plugins (which is what we have currently). So if I checkout
> "maven-ear-plugin", I would basically want something like this:
> root-dir\
> maven-ear-plugin\
> maven-archiver\
> maven-filtering\
> plexus-archiver\
> plexus-utils
> .. maybe more.. (probably configurable somewhere)
>
> Now if the checkout would generate a synethetic parent pom with all
> these as modules, I could just load it all up in IDEA and be ready to
> go. I think something like this would have /real/ value to most of our
> users, whereas the current maven-plugins layout really only is
> valuable for whoever is configuring a CI to build maven-plugins.
That's a good idea !!
What about a maven plugin for that ? :-)
checkout/clone your project then mvn sources:checkout-dependencies (or
clone-dependencies :-) ).
The plugin could have a look at dependencies scm section and if exists
checkout/clone the sources locally (we have all the necessary
components for that)

Re: Git as the canonical SCM

Posted by Tamás Cservenák <ta...@cservenak.net>.
+1000

and don't forget one of the simplest: maven-indexer
(my guts always tremble when I need to dcommit there, due to stupid eu/us
git-svn problems....) :D

Thanks,
~t~

Re: Git as the canonical SCM

Posted by Arnaud Héritier <ah...@gmail.com>.
+1 to do it step by step

Re: Git as the canonical SCM

Posted by Barrie Treloar <ba...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Sep 5, 2012 at 5:01 PM, Kristian Rosenvold
<kr...@gmail.com> wrote:
[del]
> Which makes me think we should consider such a switch an opportunity
> to re-think some of our tooling
> around multi-module projects. What the 99% others want  (who're not
> setting up a CI) is a checkout algorithm that builds the *vertical*
> stack for a given plugin, not the horizontal top-level stack for all
> the plugins (which is what we have currently). So if I checkout
> "maven-ear-plugin", I would basically want something like this:
> root-dir\
> maven-ear-plugin\
> maven-archiver\
> maven-filtering\
> plexus-archiver\
> plexus-utils
> .. maybe more.. (probably configurable somewhere)

I've lost count of the times I've been bug hunting starting at the
plugin where the problem occurs and had to pull in dependencies until
I have found the problem.
Even if the repository doesn't allow this, tooling to help checkout as
you describe would be great.
Especially when things live in shared, plexus, plugins etc its a
manual PITA looking at poms for scm sections and then checking them
out.

At least a re-think of the structure would help in
understanding/explaining why things live where.

Re: Git as the canonical SCM

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de>.
Now apply this to maven-scm if you like to have a test object.

This sometimes gets built in one go, sometimes as single modules, ...

LieGrue,
strub

Re: Git as the canonical SCM

Posted by Kristian Rosenvold <kr...@gmail.com>.

Re: Git as the canonical SCM

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.

Re: Git as the canonical SCM

Posted by Jesse McConnell <je...@gmail.com>.
it is possible to have them all in one git repo and still release
separately, we do it in a toolchain repository in jetty and use maven
release plugin for it as well

so its not _required_ that you split it all up by choosing git

jesse

--
jesse mcconnell
jesse.mcconnell@gmail.com

Re: Git as the canonical SCM

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.

Re: Git as the canonical SCM

Posted by Hilco Wijbenga <hi...@gmail.com>.
On 4 September 2012 14:29, Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de> wrote:
> just take as example that you like to checkout all maven core plugins in one go because you like to do some refactoring/checks/upgrade.
> That would require you to go into each plugin project and get the stuff from there. And where would you put the aggregator pom for CI and development builds?
>
> Same applies to all other projects which are kind of 'aggregator' like maven-core, shared, etc

You might want to have a look at git subtree. While it's currently in
"contrib", it *is* distributed with Git (since 1.7.11).

Having said that, nothing is stopping you from simply using a single
Git repository. :-)

Re: Git as the canonical SCM

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de>.

Re: Git as the canonical SCM

Re: Git as the canonical SCM

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de>.
And the Seam guys and a few others got pretty much stuck because the granularity level needs to be up front if you move to GIT.

GIT is cool, but it is not as modular as SVN. git-submodules are still a farce and there is nothing else which allows modularisation.

Don't get me wrong, I really like GIT (otherwise I would not have written the maven SCM provider for it) and it really fits pretty good for some kind of projects (we use it over at Apache DeltaSpike for example). But I think it would not be a good fit for Maven as it doesn't support modularity as well as SVN does.

LieGrue,
strub

Re: Git as the canonical SCM

Posted by Andrew Waterman <aw...@ecosur.mx>.