Posted to dev@brooklyn.apache.org by Alex Heneveld <al...@cloudsoftcorp.com> on 2014/07/01 21:30:28 UTC

CI & sonatype builds status ?

Hi folks,

What's the status of frequent snapshot builds being pushed to Sonatype?
It looks from [1] that the last update is 19 Jun.  It's very handy for
downstream projects to have access to recent dependencies.

I know the CI is work in progress.  Can I help add support for uploading
the builds?

Thanks
Alex

[1]
https://oss.sonatype.org/content/repositories/snapshots/io/brooklyn/brooklyn-core/0.7.0-SNAPSHOT/

Re: CI & sonatype builds status -- major refactoring will be needed, suggested plan to minimize disruption

Posted by Alex Heneveld <al...@cloudsoftcorp.com>.
Richard, All,

Richard has interpreted my intentions and rephrased them correctly.  :)

I have updated the cloudsoft-hosted build machines to publish unofficial
snapshots using the current non-Apache  io.brooklyn groupId, to
https://oss.sonatype.org/content/repositories/snapshots .  This should
resolve the immediate problems with downstream projects which want
snapshot dependencies (as the ones on Sonatype had otherwise not been
updated since the switch to Apache git).

Given that a package rename is not required, I'm also in favour of
changing group ID's soon -- from io.brooklyn to org.apache.brooklyn.
The only thing I would wait on is being sure we will be able to publish
snapshot builds (credentials for the org.apache.brooklyn groupId, and
any compliance issues that entails) because there are downstream
projects which use these. When that is done I think we agree the
io.brooklyn  groupId will be deprecated for Apache-incubating Brooklyn
and all downstream projects depending on snapshots will have to switch
their groupId (and an announcement will be made to this list).

BTW you can get the unofficial build reports at:

     http://brooklyn.builds.cloudsoftcorp.com/

And for example an up-to-the-minute dist in the
current-but-not-much-longer-to-live-io.brooklyn-namespace is at:

https://oss.sonatype.org/content/repositories/snapshots/io/brooklyn/brooklyn-dist/0.7.0-SNAPSHOT/brooklyn-dist-0.7.0-20140702.125949-148-dist.tar.gz

Best
Alex

Posted by Richard Downer <ri...@apache.org>.

Posted by Alex Heneveld <al...@cloudsoftcorp.com>.
Makes sense.

Only comment is that *if* we change package name then we should do a
dual-target release, where one looks and feels like previous releases
(old group id and packages) alongside a new one which looks and feels
Apache.  This would allow dependent projects to refactor against a
like-for-like target.  I think this should be done as the Brooklyn
community while in incubation to minimise disruption.

If we don't need to change package names then the switch-over is trivial
so my concerns would be withdrawn.

--A

Posted by Aled Sage <al...@gmail.com>.
Hi Alex,