Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Hans Schippers <ha...@gmail.com> on 2009/04/28 11:45:17 UTC

[users@httpd] authentication realm

Hi all,

Given a "require valid-user" directive, in what scenario would this ask for
a username and password in a *different* authentication realm than the one
specified with AuthName?

I currently have the following DAV conf section:

<Location /svn/lore>
 DAV svn
 SVNParentPath /home/wins/inf/lore/svn
 SVNListParentPath on
 AuthType Basic
 AuthName "LORE Subversion repository"
 AuthUserFile /home/wins/inf/lore/svn/.dav_svn.passwd
 Require valid-user
 AuthzSVNAccessFile /home/wins/inf/lore/svn/.dav_svn.authz
</Location>

This works in all but one case, i.e. in all but one case I am asked for a
username/password in the Realm "LORE Subversion repository"

The one case is when I create a new file and try to commit it. Then, for
some reason, I am asked for a username/password in a *different* realm.
However, apache certainly takes the above section into account, because when
I take out the "require valid-user", everything works, and I am never asked
for a username/password.

So the question is: What could cause apache to end up in the above section,
decide to ask for username/password, but then ignore the specified realm?

Server version: Apache/2.2.11 (FreeBSD)

Thanks,

Hans

--
Dr. Hans Schippers
Doctor-Assistant

A liberal is a person whose interests aren't at stake at the moment
 -- Willis Player