Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org> on 2006/11/16 19:01:55 UTC

[general] Harmony Todo list

here is what I think Harmony needs:

 - a logo [no feather BS, something cool and trendy that we could print
on mugs and t-shirts... and no duke crap either]

 - professionally-looking web pages

 - move 'harmonytest.org' source code in the harmony svn repository so
that others can work on it (actually, I think we should host the harmony
testing in our own zone and avoid depending on Alexey's own resources,
but there is no hurry for that).

 - continue the work on the 'buildtest' infrastructure and make it dump
results automatically in harmonytest, but identifying the IP address and
the OS and the various environment features (like gcc version and so on)

 - identify benchmarks that we want to run against harmony and add those
to "buildtest" so that they dump 'performance' information

 - plot results of such performance over time and send email in case a
major regression occurs.

Thoughts? Anything else?

--
Stefano.

Re: [general] Harmony Todo list

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.
Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>> here is what I think Harmony needs:
>>
>>  - a logo [no feather BS, something cool and trendy that we could print
>> on mugs and t-shirts... and no duke crap either]
>
> I was so hoping no one would suggest this...

LOL -- I /knew/ that would come up <g>

...go on let's make it a competition too, ROTFL.

Regards,
Tim

--

Tim Ellison (t.p.ellison@gmail.com)
IBM Java technology centre, UK.

Re: [general] Harmony Todo list

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.

Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> here is what I think Harmony needs:
>
>  - a logo [no feather BS, something cool and trendy that we could print
> on mugs and t-shirts... and no duke crap either]

I was so hoping no one would suggest this...

>  - professionally-looking web pages

They're coming along

>  - move 'harmonytest.org' source code in the harmony svn repository so
> that others can work on it (actually, I think we should host the harmony
> testing in our own zone and avoid depending on Alexey's own resources,
> but there is no hurry for that).

Yep

>  - continue the work on the 'buildtest' infrastructure and make it dump
> results automatically in harmonytest, but identifying the IP address and
> the OS and the various environment features (like gcc version and so on)

Yep - I think it does that already.

>  - identify benchmarks that we want to run against harmony and add those
> to "buildtest" so that they dump 'performance' information

yep

>  - plot results of such performance over time and send email in case a
> major regression occurs.

yep

> Thoughts? Anything else?

Lots :)

geir

Re: [general] Harmony Todo list

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Anton Luht wrote:
> Stefano,
>
>>  - move 'harmonytest.org' source code in the harmony svn repository so
>> that others can work on it
>
> What's the procedure for this? Certificate of origin, etc? Is the code
> scan required before that? I can create a JIRA with the sources
> attached but the problem is they're changed often.
>
>> (actually, I think we should host the harmony
>> testing in our own zone and avoid depending on Alexey's own resources,
>> but there is no hurry for that).
>
> Yes, that'd be great. Fitting it to hosting that is more suitable for
> home pages is a pain in the brain.

Anton, I'm deeply sorry, I confused you with (one of the) Alexey (have
to admit that my brain is not tuned to remember so many russian-sounding
names)

Please accept my apologies.

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.
Anton Luht wrote:
> Stefano,
>
>>  - move 'harmonytest.org' source code in the harmony svn repository so
>> that others can work on it
>
> What's the procedure for this? Certificate of origin, etc? Is the code
> scan required before that? I can create a JIRA with the sources
> attached but the problem is they're changed often.

It's your (and possibly anyone you are beholden to like your employer)
call whether you bring the code to Harmony or not.  Judging by the
conversations on the list it sounds like something people would be
interested in helping with.

It would be destined for the 'standard' area of the repository, so
normal ASF code contribution rules would apply.

Regards,
Tim

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.
All alone?  Then as long as your employer doesn't consider it a "work
for hire" - IOW, if Intel doesn't think that they paid you to do this -
then you can contribute it yourself.

Please check with your manager.

If that is ok, then you can submit as a JIRA and as Tim noted, we'll put
in 'standard'...

geir

Posted by Anton Luht <an...@gmail.com>.

> Who wrote it?

The code? Me.

> >> (actually, I think we should host the harmony
> >> testing in our own zone and avoid depending on Alexey's own resources,
> >> but there is no hurry for that).
> >
> > Yes, that'd be great. Fitting it to hosting that is more suitable for
> > home pages is a pain in the brain.

Anton Luht,
Intel Java & XML Engineering

Re: [general] Harmony Todo list

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.

Posted by Anton Luht <an...@gmail.com>.
Stefano,

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.

Chris Gray wrote:
> On Thursday 16 November 2006 19:39, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>> [...] (WTF does BSD licensing for a logo mean,
>> anyway?),
>
> It means that you don't have to distribute the source code of the logo :-),
> but it has to be accompanied by 200+ words of copyright notice and you can't
> use Sun's name to endorse your competition-winning graphic ...
>
>> meaning that all 'java look-alikes' will have duke [...]
>
> Mika will never have duke, so long as I live. The coffe cup maybe, but not the
> pointy-headed red-nosed cretin. There are limits. :-)

it's a tooth.  An engorged tooth.

With arms.

geir

Re: [general] Harmony Todo list

Posted by Chris Gray <ch...@kiffer.be>.

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> Matt Benson wrote:
>> --- Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>>> here is what I think Harmony needs:
>>>
>>>  - a logo [no feather BS, something cool and trendy
>>> that we could print
>>> on mugs and t-shirts... and no duke crap either]
>> c'mon man... Duke playing a concertina or something,
>> that'd kick ass.  :)
>
> Graphically maybe, marketing wise it's a bad idea and here's why: the
> 'java' coffee cup logo is super-protected but the duke is now free to
> use without restrictions (WTF does BSD licensing for a logo mean,
> anyway?), meaning that all 'java look-alikes' will have duke while only
> the 'certified javas' will have the coffee cup.
>
> I think we should stand clear of that distinction right away and have
> our own identity from the get-go.

+1

Regards,
Tim

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.

Posted by Matt Benson <gu...@yahoo.com>.
--- Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org> wrote:

> here is what I think Harmony needs:
>
>  - a logo [no feather BS, something cool and trendy
> that we could print
> on mugs and t-shirts... and no duke crap either]

c'mon man... Duke playing a concertina or something,
that'd kick ass.  :)

-Matt

Sponsored Link

Mortgage rates near 39yr lows.
$420k for $1,399/mo. Calculate new payment!
www.LowerMyBills.com/lre