Posted to users@jackrabbit.apache.org by Julián <CA...@telefonica.net> on 2014/08/10 13:54:58 UTC

Help for a new user

(sorry for my english)
I'm very new at java, javaEE,  web-development world, and, of course, jackrabbit environment.
I'm a student and I'm working in my degree project. An "easy" document management system.
I only need users to get their documents and to be able to search groups of words into them (PDF, DOC, XLS ...) like a google search.
I've heard about jackrabbit's benefits, so I've decided to use it. (I suposse jackrabbit can do those task ?)

I am developing an "easy" JSF application with Primefaces, Mysql... and now, I'm in the phase when I have to manage the documents.
I've read the JSR 283 specification, and I undestand it more or less. My  problem is how to begin.

I need someone to show me a simple example to create and access a repository. The repository only have to work with my application in a tomcat server.
I've been looking for information on the Internet and I'm absolutely lost. Everyone say different things. I haven't been able to find an "easy" example about I need.
In Jackrabbit's web, I've been reading about deployments models, stand-alone server,  Jackrabbit Web application, Jackrabbit JCA Resource Adapter ...
Oh my god! Is it really so difficult what I want to do? I don't think so, perhaps I'm getting older...

I only need:
1º when a client access the application for the first time, the repository will be created in a specified path.
2º Clients will upload files, search for content, and download them.

I'm now in the first point. Can anyone help me?
I use the eclipse IDE and I don't use maven.
What "jars" must I include in my classpath?
what java instructions do I need to create and set up the repository? In the JSR specification, they use the RepositoryFactory class. Is it the way to do it?

Thanks a lot, and sorry for my ignorance.

---
Este mensaje no contiene virus ni malware porque la protección de avast! Antivirus está activa.

Re: Help for a new user

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.
Lucene is embedded in Jackrabbit.
You should look at Solr (http://lucene.apache.org/solr/)
"Solr is a standalone enterprise search server with a REST-like API. You
put documents in it (called "indexing") via XML, JSON, CSV or binary
over HTTP. You query it via HTTP GET and receive XML, JSON, CSV or
binary results."

A repository might be helpful in organizing a document library in
multiple virtual hierarchies without duplication.
It also gives you a lot of flexibility in access control.

But you may not need one.

Ron

Re: Help for a new user

> If you want to search inside Jackrabbit using its internal search engine,
> you are going to have to extract the text on the way in.
> I think that this means using the appropriate tool to read the content
> from the incoming document and creating a document linked to the original
> that can be searched by Jackrabbit and then used to find the original PDF
> or DOC or XLS, etc. to present to the user.
>
> This should be possible for most of the common documents since there are
> Apache tools such as POI that let you read DOC and XLS files and extract
> the content.
> http://pdfbox.apache.org
> http://poi.apache.org/
> http://www.swftools.org/
> https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Xml
>
> This can be a reasonably general solution if you add a facility that
> allows users to manually write a document summary or keyword list  for
> documents in formats that you do not support or that do not contain text
> that describes their content or usage - CAD drawings, Quickbooks backups,
> database backups, etc.
>
> I hope that this gives you something to think about until a real
> Jackrabbit expert shows up.
>
> Ron
>
> On 16/08/2014 12:49 PM, Julián wrote:
>>
>> Hello.
>> I've been able to use a repository in my JSF application at last. If
>> someone has a similar problem, I can help him.
>>
>> Now, I would like to insert some files (.doc, .pdf, ...), and search for
>> words into them, like google.
>> I suposse that I'll have to use text extractors, and I'll have to
>> configure the repository to index the files.
>>
>> Does anybody know where I can find some examples?
>> Can anyone tell me where to look for?
>>
>> Thanks

---
Este mensaje no contiene virus ni malware porque la protección de avast! Antivirus está activa.

Re: Help for a new user

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.

Re: Help for a new user

> [...]
>> Adapter ...
>> Oh my god! Is it really so difficult what I want to do? I don't think so,
>> perhaps I'm getting older...
>>
>> I only need:
>> 1º when a client access the application for the first time, the
>> repository will be created in a specified path.
>> 2º Clients will upload files, search for content, and download them.
>>
>> I'm now in the first point. Can anyone help me?
>> I use the eclipse IDE and I don't use maven.
>> What "jars" must I include in my classpath?
>> what java instructions do I need to create and set up the repository? In
>> the JSR specification, they use the RepositoryFactory class. Is it the
>> way to do it?
>>
>> Thanks a lot, and sorry for my ignorance.
>>

>> ---
>> Este mensaje no contiene virus ni malware porque la protección de avast!

---
Este mensaje no contiene virus ni malware porque la protección de avast! Antivirus está activa.

Re: Help for a new user

Posted by Julián <CA...@telefonica.net>.
Firstly, thanks for your response.
I've used maven, as you say. In fact, maven is already installed in Eclipse
Kepler.

I can run the "first hop" application without any problems.  If I run a
simple Java application it runs ok.

My problem is that I'm developing a JSF application in a Tomcat container,
and I don't know how to do it.
If i try the first-hop example in a JSF bean, I get an error:
javax.jcr.NoSuchWorkspaceException: security, in the instruction "session =
repository.login()".

I've tried with the "SimpleCredentials" class, but I get the same error.

I've been reading in the jackrabbit's web, the  deploying methods
instructions. I'm using Tomcat 7.0, and I tried to put a "context.xml" in my
WEB-INF path, but I got the same error. My context.xml is (as I've read in
the instructions):

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<Resource name="jcr/repository"
          auth="Container"
          type="javax.jcr.Repository"
          factory="org.apache.jackrabbit.core.jndi.BindableRepositoryFactory"
          configFilePath="C://jackrabbit//jackrabbit//repository.xml"
          repHomeDir="C://jackrabbit//jackrabbit" />

I guess that the instructions of the first-hop example, aren't valid in this
scenario

  Repository repository = new TransientRepository();
  Session  session = repository.login();          /*  <-------- I get the
javax.jcr.NoSuchWorkspaceException error here                  */
  String user = session.getUserID();

 How can I create, or use, a repository in my web application?
 Can anybody help me?

Thanks

Julián

> [...]
>> Adapter ...
>> Oh my god! Is it really so difficult what I want to do? I don't think so,
>> perhaps I'm getting older...
>>
>> I only need:
>> 1º when a client access the application for the first time, the
>> repository will be created in a specified path.
>> 2º Clients will upload files, search for content, and download them.
>>
>> I'm now in the first point. Can anyone help me?
>> I use the eclipse IDE and I don't use maven.
>> What "jars" must I include in my classpath?
>> what java instructions do I need to create and set up the repository? In
>> the JSR specification, they use the RepositoryFactory class. Is it the
>> way to do it?
>>
>> Thanks a lot, and sorry for my ignorance.
>>

>> ---
>> Este mensaje no contiene virus ni malware porque la protección de avast!

---
Este mensaje no contiene virus ni malware porque la protección de avast! Antivirus está activa.

Re: Help for a new user

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.
Did you get the example from