Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by David Baron <d_...@012.net.il> on 2006/12/23 19:32:48 UTC

Deleting SA headers on ham

Occasionally, I get false positives. I run the sa_learn to mark as ham. The
spamassassin spam headings remain. Is there a script or optiont that I might
use to remove them (restore message to original form) ?

Re: Deleting SA headers on ham

Posted by Kris Deugau <kd...@vianet.ca>.
Nigel Frankcom wrote:
> Is it necessary to remove SA headers during the learn? I use two
> methods arbitrarily;

 From man sa-learn (SA 2.64):
If the messages you are learning from have already been filtered through
SpamAssassin, the learner will compensate for this.  In effect, it
learns what each message would look like if you had run "spamassassin
-d" over it in advance.

 From man sa-learn (SA 3.1.7):
If the messages you are learning from have already been filtered through
SpamAssassin, the learner will compensate for this.  In effect, it
learns what each message would look like if you had run "spamassassin
-d" over it in advance.

<g>

IOW, sa-learn "knows" what headers SpamAssassin adds.

I should point out that it does NOT inherently understand headers added
by other scanning systems - including those that either call the
SpamAssassin Perl libraries (Amavis, MIMEDefang), or call spamassassin
or spamc (qmail-<something>) but add their own headers based on the
results of the scan.  However, bayes_ignore_header <header name> in your
main SA config should compensate for that.

-kgd

Re: Deleting SA headers on ham

Posted by Nigel Frankcom <ni...@blue-canoe.net>.
On Sat, 23 Dec 2006 11:39:44 -0700, bob@proulx.com (Bob Proulx) wrote:

>David Baron wrote:
>> Occasionally, I get false positives. I run the sa_learn to mark as ham. The
>> spamassassin spam headings remain. Is there a script or optiont that I might
>> use to remove them (restore message to original form) ?
>
>Use 'spamassassin -d' (aka 'spamassassin --remove-markup') to remove
>any SA markup in the message.
>
>  spamassassin -d < message-marked-up > message-original
>
>See 'man spamassassin-run' for more information.
>
>  man spamassassin-run
>
>Bob

Is it necessary to remove SA headers during the learn? I use two
methods arbitrarily;

Method 1 is to extract the original message from the mail archives
which are created before SA does it's thing, so the mail has no SA
headers at all.

Method 2 is to copy the mail from the user backup directory in which
case the mail is as seen by the user - with SA headers.

In both cases I use sa-learn --spam -u <sa user> /path/to/spam

Am I harming my scoring doing it this way?

Kind regards & seasons greetings

Nigel

Re: Deleting SA headers on ham

Posted by Theo Van Dinter <fe...@apache.org>.
On Sat, Dec 23, 2006 at 09:29:22PM +0200, David Baron wrote:
> I changed my ham script to:
> nice -n15 sa-learn -L --ham --no-rebuild --single | spamassassin -d
> This did not work.

Of course not, sa-learn doesn't output a message.  If you're trying to pipe
stuff here, you will want to use a temp file to capture the message, learn it,
then strip the markup away.

--
Randomly Selected Tagline:
"Now please floppy from your first drive and insert the boot floppy."

RE: Deleting SA headers on ham

Posted by R Lists06 <li...@abbacomm.net>.

> I changed my ham script to:
> nice -n15 sa-learn -L --ham --no-rebuild --single | spamassassin -d
>
> This did not work.

Why on earth are there two different functions for the letter d in
spamassassin?

Meaning

spamassassin -D
spamassassin -d

do or are associate with two different functions/things

Isn't this counterproductive in error or mistake situations?

 - rh

--
Robert - Abba Communications
   Computer & Internet Services

Re: Deleting SA headers on ham

Posted by David Baron <d_...@012.net.il>.

Posted by Bob Proulx <bo...@proulx.com>.

Posted by Theo Van Dinter <fe...@apache.org>.
On Sat, Dec 23, 2006 at 08:32:48PM +0200, David Baron wrote:
> Occasionally, I get false positives. I run the sa_learn to mark as ham. The
> spamassassin spam headings remain. Is there a script or optiont that I might
> use to remove them (restore message to original form) ?

spamassassin -d

--
Randomly Selected Tagline:
"You don't want me to pick out your brain surgeon. I don't want your brain
 surgeon picking out my router :)"   - LuftHans@asu.edu