Posted to dev@tomee.apache.org by David Blevins <da...@gmail.com> on 2012/04/23 10:04:33 UTC

Announcement Timing

Sally Khudairi (Apache PR person) has drafted us up an official Apache announcement like there was for the certification.

She asked when it should be released, I said probably Wednesday.  Was thinking Tuesday earlier in the week, but that seems unlikely at this point.

Hopefully we can get our voting done by at least Tuesday morning afternoon to give time for things to sync to the mirrors.

If not I might recommend waiting till the following Monday.  News doesn't really survive the weekend and announcing on a Thursday (or far worse, Friday) gives us mere hours before it's dropped.

Even Wednesday is kind of the latest good day.

-David

Re: Announcement Timing

Posted by Neale Rudd <ne...@metawerx.net>.
Well as you stated earlier, after the initial vote, everyone slows down a
lot in their voting ;-)

+1 again for me

.. but I'd still really like to see those wish-list items addressed

To readdress:
- the fix for apps with no WEB-INF folder being treated as standard webapps
(static apps in this case), helps a lot for people trying their live VM on
TomEE instead of just people playing with samples
- a logo, because I think it'd make a great difference for the 1.0 release
commercially

I'd personally also go for a Monday news release as it's only a few days,
gives a full business week of news exposure (as you noted David, in what was
really an excellent comment on the effect of time of news releases over the
net in 2012), and gives us time to make sure the release is solid, built,
and all the download links work (ie: the dropin war link *still* results in
[The requested URL
/pub/apache/openejb/4.0.0-beta-2/openejb-tomcat-webapp-4.0.0-beta-2.war was
not found on this server.] - horrible for a 1.0 release imho).

I know everyone is really keen for a first release, but since it's going to
be publicised so widely, I think "a few more days and get it right" is an
intelligent approach.  Flames welcome.

Best Regards,
Neale

Monday is definitely better than Friday.

Jean-Louis

Le 23 avril 2012 10:04, David Blevins <da...@gmail.com> a ï¿©crit :

Re: Announcement Timing

Posted by Jean-Louis MONTEIRO <je...@gmail.com>.
Great!

Re: Announcement Timing

Posted by David Blevins <da...@gmail.com>.
On Apr 25, 2012, at 8:16 AM, David Blevins wrote:

>> To allow 72 hours for voting no votes can start later than Wednesday night.
>
> Reminder, cut-off on fixes/improvements is tonight.

FYI, cutting process started a bit ago.

CI build green:

  - http://ci.apache.org/builders/openejb-4-empty-repo/builds/37

Upload has been going an hour now.  Will start the TCK run as soon as that is done.

Then (fingers crossed) a new vote!

-David

Re: Announcement Timing

Posted by David Blevins <da...@gmail.com>.

Re: Announcement Timing

Posted by David Blevins <da...@gmail.com>.
My intention was "let's hurry up and make Wednesday", but it seems there is preference for Monday.

Understand that these press releases are coordinated between Apache and news outlets and once we pick a day we have to stick to it and we have to pick it days in advance.

Our window for Wednesday would have been right this second and the only feedback has been for Monday, so Monday it is.

This is a non-movable date.  Binaries will have to be pushed to the mirrors Sunday morning.  Votes will have to be closed by Saturday night.  To allow 72 hours for voting no votes can start later than Wednesday night.  It takes a few hours to roll a release, upload it, get it through TCK testing and a green CI build.