Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by Mason Legere <ma...@salesforce.com.INVALID> on 2021/11/26 21:54:55 UTC

[DISCUSS] KIP-804: OfflinePartitionsCount Tagged by Topic

Hi All,

I would like to start a discussion for KIP-804
<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/KIP-804%3A+OfflinePartitionsCount+Tagged+by+Topic>,
which
proposes tagging the offline partition counter metric (managed by the
controller) by the topic name of the corresponding offline partition(s).

Open to any thoughts and suggestions,
Mason

Re: [DISCUSS] KIP-804: OfflinePartitionsCount Tagged by Topic

Posted by Mason Legere <ma...@salesforce.com.INVALID>.
Hey Justine,

Yes, sorry I will update the wording. The original (untagged) metric will
remain the same to ensure any monitoring/alerting will be untouched by this
change.

With my implementation (that I have not yet pushed upstream from our fork)
I am not very concerned about performance impacts. Everything is lazily
created with respect to a topic, and topics with no offline partitions are
not included within any of the logic.
In the event where there are many topics with offline partitions, there
could be some impact as on each Controller Event those topics would need to
be iterated through to update the metric state.

Best,
Mason

Posted by Justine Olshan <jo...@confluent.io.INVALID>.
Hi Mason,