Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com> on 2008/06/02 08:59:58 UTC

Re: Revising the IP Clearance Form (was: cut the crap)

On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 5:21 PM, Noel J. Bergman <no...@devtech.com> wrote:
> Robert Burrell Donkin wrote:
>
>> i've committed a stripped down template and moved the prose into a
>> guide. this guide is just copy ATM
>
> With all due and sincere respect to Roy, the current IP Clearance form was
> done in conjunction with the Board.  Over the past several years it has been
> modified slightly by the current President, Chair, and at least one other
> Director, so it is not some unknown quantity haphazardly slapped together.
> Given that we now have a Legal Committee, any substantive revision of that
> form should be run through them.
>
> This is not a comment on content, but on process.  Let's do due diligence to
> the document.

Something I've meant to bring up for a while - do we need to get
trademark granting in there?

I'm thinking of when a project joins and retains the name it had
originally. It seems to usually happen with existing Open Source
projects rather than projects which are moving in from private
communities.

Hen