Posted to dev@spark.apache.org by MEETHU MATHEW <me...@yahoo.co.in> on 2014/05/22 12:06:00 UTC

Contributions to MLlib

Hi,

I would like to do some contributions towards the MLlib .I've a few concerns regarding the same.

1. Is there any reason for implementing the algorithms supported  by MLlib in Scala
2. Will you accept if  the contributions are done in Python or Java

Thanks,
Meethu M

Re: Contributions to MLlib

Posted by Xiangrui Meng <me...@gmail.com>.
Hi Meethu,

Thanks for asking! Scala is the native language in Spark. Implementing
algorithms in Scala can utilize the full power of Spark Core. Also,
Scala's syntax is very concise. Implementing ML algorithms using
different languages would increase the maintenance cost. However,
there are still much work to be done in the Python/Java land. For
example, we currently do not support distributed matrix and decision
tree in Python, and those interfaces may not be friendly for Java
users. If you would like to contribute to MLlib in Python or Java, it
would be a good place to start. Thanks!

Best,
Xiangrui