Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Pierre Smits <pi...@apache.org> on 2018/03/18 08:48:12 UTC

Podling announcing releases

Hi All,

In dec 2017 the Apache Trafodion Project graduated from incubation.

As  any other podling we released our works several times. And we announced
releases via announce@a.o. In those announcements we mentioned where
(potential) adopters could download the code from, and we advised to either
download from/via our project's download page or from/via

https://dist.apache.org

I want to make (P)PMC Members and podling mentors aware that (since
recently) this is not allowed. Each latest release download must be
from/via:

https://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.lua/<podlingName>

and that older releases must be from/via:

https://archive.apache.org/dist/<podlingName>

Best regards,

Pierre Smits

V.P. Apache Trafodion

Fwd: Podling announcing releases

Re: Podling announcing releases

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.
Trafodion 2.1 was incorrect, [1].  2.0.1's email looks fine [2] (not the
exact same format, but acceptable).  2.0's is perfect [3].

[1]:
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/290dada834e9bd11507ae84b76b944a02e5fccff3bf05bfc1e690134@%3Cgeneral.incubator.apache.org%3E
[2]:
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/b486d99f20c1009bfce596a51a7ef2dad3c40ec3bc242c7a84936478@%3Cgeneral.incubator.apache.org%3E
[3]:
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/e845f00c9cc8e307d911bdaa8adca1aff12158019614a699afc2a807@%3Cgeneral.incubator.apache.org%3E

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@apache.org>.

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.
Looks like they've updated the web page just recently. Agreed: it has the
correct links now.

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.
Hey Mike,

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.
Hey Mike,

Posted by Mike Drob <md...@apache.org>.
Greg,

Posted by Mike Drob <md...@apache.org>.
Greg,

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@apache.org>.
High Nick, all,

Who am I to tell how a community - incubating or not - constructs their web
presence in general and their download links/page in particular.

Some may even say that having a link to the Apache archive(s) is undesired,
unwanted or even Verboten. As it (https://archive.apache.org/dist/
<podlingName>) is similar - in perception at least -  to having a link
pointing to https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/<projectName>/

But my tip: keep it simple to prevent information overload, and have the
latest release download link just point to
https://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.lua/<projectName>.

For doing releases, you may consider taking hints and tips from [1] (which
was established - and refined - during the incubation of Apache Trafodion.

Best regards,

Pierre Smits

V.P. Apache Trafodion

Posted by Nick Kew <ni...@apache.org>.