Posted to dev@xalan.apache.org by Samar Abbas Lotia <sl...@nQuire.com> on 2001/10/23 20:05:47 UTC

Compile problems with STLPort 4.0 and MSVC 6 SP4

I ran into some minor problems while trying to compile Xalan-C 1.2 on MSVC 6
using STLPort 4.0. The problems were most likely related to my particular
configuration of STLPort, however IMHO, the changes would make the Xalan
source code more portable (although marginally) across STL
implementations/configurations.

My particular problems were seen in the following files:

XSLT/NamespacesHandler.cpp (lines 111 and 120)
XSLT/OutputContextStack.cpp (lines 108 and 134)
XSLT/ResultNamespacesStack.cpp (line 179)
XSLT/StylesheetHandler.cpp (lines 1870 and 1873)

PlatformSupport/ArenaAllocator.hpp (line 201)
PlatformSupport/ReusableArenaAllocator.hpp (lines 135 and 178)

The problem was always related to using the operator != for comparing STL
iterators. Changing this to (IMHO more portable) !(x == y) fixed my
problems.

I was wondering what the opinions of the Xalan dev community were regarding
such issues with STL compatibility and what, if anything, should be done to
address these. My comment is biased totally towards not having to modify
Xalan source code when I get a fresh release in order to compile it for my
uses :-)

Also, the reason I recompiled Xalan was to turn off the STD allocators which
were causing trouble in my case when mixed with (my configuration of)
STLPort 4.0.

Thanks,

Samar