Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Jonathan Ellis <jb...@gmail.com> on 2016/01/05 00:40:25 UTC

Announcement: Thrift API deprecation

Thrift has been officially frozen for almost two years and unofficially for
longer.   Meanwhile, maintaining Thrift support through changes like 8099
has been a substantial investment.

Thus, we are officially deprecating Thrift now and removing support in 4.0,
i.e. Nov 2016 if tick-tock goes as planned.

(I note that some users have been unable to completely migrate away from
Thrift because CQL doesn’t quite provide feature parity.  The last such
outstanding issue is mixing static and dynamic Thrift “columns” in a single
table.  We have an issue open to address this [1] and should have it
committed for 3.4.  In the meantime, I thought it best to give people more
notice rather than less.)

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-10857

--
Jonathan Ellis